1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In-dash Navigation for Right Hand Drive Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MSKamarudin, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just had my Prius for less than 2 weeks. Seriously thinking of an in-dash OEM-looked navigation system. Contacted Flyaudio Malaysia but told that "the Flyaudio unit E7572NAVI for the Toyota Prius does not fit our local Prius. The mould is a little bit different, therefore, does not fit in the unit space of our local Prius." If this is true, I guess Rosen or Myron or similar models or even the double-din dash kit won't fit CBU Prius for Malaysia too.

Can anyone verify if this is true? Thank you.

2. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can confirm that the dash panels are different for the LHD and RHD Prius, which means that the Rosen, FlyAudio etc units won't easily fit.

However, Toyota do make two versions of the "almost 2 DIN" dash panel. I have the RHD version fitted to my Prius and it's a very good fit and match for the rest of the dash. The Toyota part number for this panel is 55405-47070, but it is very expensive for what it is (around £60, or about $90). The opening in the panel is slightly larger than 2 DIN, and needs the standard Toyota 2 DIN fitting kit used to convert other Toyota head unit apertures to 2 DIN. This extra kit is just two small spacers that fit either side of the head unit to fill the gap at the sides. The aperture is the right height for a 2 DIN unit. Metra and other aftermarket people make these Toyota adapter kits for 2 DIN. I fitted the Metra kit which was very cheap and did the job OK, others have just made small infill pieces, painted them black and fitted them.

Jeremy

3. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is interesting because FlyAudio in Thailand (also RHD) say the FlyAudio units fit the Prius. To get to the bottom of the problem, there is a FlyAudio unit on its way to the UK for a trial fit in my RHD Prius.

4. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you Jeremy. Johalareewi: Could check whether the Flyaudio model is similar to that sold in US? Do let us know if you succeed in installing the Thai Flyaudio. I guess I will have to wait before deciding either to get the OEM-looked or 2 DIN unit.

5. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I know for sure that the fascia panels are different, which is why Toyota make two different panels, one for RHD and one for LHD. The LHD 2 DIN panel is part number 55405-47080 whilst the LHD one is 55405-47070. I can't see Toyota going to the expense of making two different panels if the apertures are identical.

I've just pulled my old Prius radio out of the box to check for you and it's obvious that the panel isn't symmetrical, it has a gentle convex curve on the right hand edge (looking side on) and a gentle S shaped curve on the left edge. I think the actual cut out is pretty symmetrical, but if a LHD panel was fitted to a RHD car (assuming it will physically fit) then it will not fit flush to the existing dash. My guess is that it will stick out at the lower right corner by around 1/4" and stick in at the lower left corner by about the same amount, judging from the shape of my radio panel.

Jeremy

6. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Jeremy. I have just received the following message from Flyaudio China/Australia

----
    hello sir, thanks for your inquiry very much Flyaudio (Kenny)
    "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    View Contact
    To: mskamarudin
    Hello Sir,

Thanks for your inquiry very much, this is Kenny from Flyaudio Corp. China. Sorry to tell you that our model for Prius is not so perfect for the right hand driving car, that is a little gap (2mm width) after installation, so we suggest not fit it in right hand driving cars. So sorry we can not help you!

Best regards

Kenny

---
    I guess I have to wait for a while or start ordering the RHD facia & double din in-dsh unit. The Rosen people had also send me a message requesting that I send them a photo of the current unit (with dimensions I guess) before they can answer whether Rosen unit fits RHD Prius.

7. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The critical thing to look for is the side profile view, as I think this is where the main difference is between the LHD and RHD units. Here are some photos, first a view from the right hand (drivers) side of the RHD radio:

[​IMG]

Next, the view from the left hand side, note the way the fascia turns up at the right hand side, when compared to the other photo:
    [​IMG]

Finally, here's a photo from the underside, showing the way the fascia curves up in the lower left corner (the left of this photo):

[​IMG]

Jeremy

2 people like this.
  8. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many thanks Jeremy. Does the double din unit you have installed work with the steering controls and HUD?

9. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both the units I've tried have worked with the steering wheel controls OK. The Chinese unit was an exact fit to the Toyota dash panel (slightly wider than double DIN) and had all the right connectors to plug straight in to the Prius loom. All the steering wheel buttons worked properly, including the Bluetooth ones.

The Kenwood unit needed an aftermarket steering wheel adapter, and also a loom adapter, but again all the controls work properly.

None of the aftermarket units support the navigation display on the HUD, AFAIK. I suspect that the non-navigation models may not even have a navigation symbol capable HUD, just one that displays speed and the ECO bar.

The Chinese head unit I had for a while looks to have had exactly the same functionality as the FlyAudio/Rosen units, at a lower price. For example, this head unit fits the Toyota panel perfectly and looks like a factory fit unit: Toyota Navigation system - Aftermarket Toyota radio update - Universal Double Din headunit for Toyota - DVD GPS Navi stereo

These Chinese head units are internally very similar (most probably exactly the same) as those re-branded units sold as FlyAudio, Rosen, Caska, Coagent etc. They all seem to use the same core, with just minor changes to the firmware and interfaces.

Jeremy

10. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jeremy,

To activate the navigation HUD, the Navi switch (under the HUD switch) needs to be turned on. This button is not provided (though the space is there) and I thought that you have installed the Navi switch too and know the part number and installation procedure. Rosen claims that their unit works with the HUD and I guess those with Navi switch.

11. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting. The Chinese unit I had didn't have an output to connect to the HUD, AFAIK, and my car doesn't have the extra navi switch on the HUD controls, either.

The Chinese unit did have CANBUS connections, though, so maybe this is the way that the extra HUD commands are sent. I didn't look at this, because I didn't keep the unit long. It worked OK and fit and integration into the car was fantastic - it looked like a factory fitted unit -but the radio RDS performance was poor and I listen a lot to FM radio and rely heavily on the radio re-tuning using the RDS AF capability here. AF didn't work at all well on the Chinese unit I had, with the radio just dropping the signal when it faded and doing a complete band scan before retuning to the new frequency. In contrast, the Kenwood I have now just seamlessly retunes without any noticeable interuption to reception.

Jeremy

12. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't find their claim anywhere, do you have a link?

13. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is the reply from Rosen after looking at the photos of RHD OEM unit "Although the dash appears to be dimensionally the same, we can't confirm that or if the space behind the radio will be the same." I guess the best bet now is get 2 DIN unit. Or if someone from UK or Australia is selling their OEM unit for a better 2 DIN unit.

14. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have just heard from the UK FlyAudio dealer that FlyAudio are are making a RHD version of the Prius head unit for the UK. Maybe you could get FlyAudio Malaysia to ask China for a RHD version as well?

15. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be great, but i was thinking this morning it really needs DAB as well, since FM goes offline in 4 years time :(

16. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been chasing down a DAB capable 2 DIN unit for a few weeks and have had responses from one or two HU manufacturers, all negative. The general consensus seems to be that the major HU manufacturers seem to have had general customer dissatisfaction with regard to DAB performance in vehicles, so pretty much all of them have now stopped making DAB compatible head units. The add-on DAB boxes made in the past by companies like JVC have now ceased production, as no new head units will work with them. None of the companies that replied to me said they had plans to release any DAB receivers in the short to medium term.

I'm going to hazard a guess that DAB may well just die, due to poor performance in vehicles, particularly the major technical challenge of getting adequate DAB coverage in rural areas. In-car FM is generally marginal to poor where I live, DAB is unusable due to the higher frequency it uses. The same seems true for most places away from big conurbations. It seems unlikely that DAB will have anywhere near enough coverage to allow the planned FM switch-off and I'm already hearing rumours that this will be delayed until around 2020 at the earliest. There are also rumours that the DAB system chosen for the UK is poor and that the encoding system used may be changed before too long, rendering some existing DAB receivers obsolete.

It's good news that Fly Audio are making RHD specific units. Is there any news on what the likely UK price might be? I could hazard a guess that they'll do what every other manufacturer does and double the price for units sold here.......................

Jeremy

17. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Over in the USA they are $999 so we can guess the UK price :(

18. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm........... What's the betting it'll be at least £999 (a mark-up of around 50% for our US readers).

One option for those who like the FlyAudio functionality and wish to fit one now to a RHD car would be to use the Toyota RHD surround together with the general Toyota fit FlyAudio unit: FLYAUDIO CORPORATION--Toyota general type This unit fits the 200mm x 100mm aperture in the Toyota panel and would look pretty good (in fact it looks very similar to the unit I bought from autodvdgps.com for around $350 : Autoradio for Toyota FJ Cruiser & Hilux & Previa & Vits & Vela & Alpha +GPS navigation/DVD Player + 6.2 HD Digital Panel BT RDS iPOD Toyota Previa DVD Player, Toyota Alpha DVD GPS ).

Jeremy

1 person likes this.
  19. wongabraham

wongabraham New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey found one at klang oem fit

20. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have any details, please?

There are a few of us with RHD cars who are looking for a good audio/nav solution.

Jeremy