1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In-depth review of the 2007 Camry hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Russell Frost, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've completed my review of the Toyota Camry hybrid. I drove it for a week through some very tough conditions and you can read all about it by clicking here or on the images below.

[​IMG]

As a Prius owner I was very interested to see what my impressions of this vehicle would be. It was surprising on several levels. If you have a moment, read the review and tell me what you think.

Thanks very much.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a nice travelogue...but dang long for those of us who really wanted to know what you thought of the Camry. I'll take out one pertianent quote and give my own brief summary:

They got about 35mpg with a very loaded car in very hot weather and thought that was awesome...I do too. He didn't like the steering wheel, shifter....and something else.

I'm currently driving a rental non-hybrid Camry and would like to make a few comments:
    1)You mentioned the 'invisibility' of the HSD. I'll just say that going from a Prius to a non-HSD Camry the difference is quite visible. I hate the feel of the surging of the automatic tranny and have pined all week for the smoothness of the HSD.
    2)Comfort...agreed, we've done several drives this trip of 1-4 hours in length and the Camry driver's seat is very comfortable. I don't like the way the AC is set up...just darn hard to figure out how to set it properly and what final temperture you're going to end up at so you're constantly fiddling/adjusting.
    3)Ride...we picked up a Camry in Providence, RI at the airport. I immediately thought something was goofy as it made weird noises when making a right turn. Thought I'd keep going (you know how it is after you get off the plane, you just want to get OUT), but after just a few miles it was clear something was wrong. I checked the tires which seemed fine, but decided it had to be the alignment since it was smooth and quiet when turning left but noisy when turning right or even going straight. Hertz allowed me to swap out at another airport that was just off of our intended route (Manchster, NH). This one was better, but at highway speed there's still some shuttering of the steering wheel...enough that the keys and my watch rattle from the vibrations! So 2 cars both with alignment issues...granted they're rentals, but the first one had 17k miles and this one just over 4k...you wouldn't think they'd be that bad.
    4)The trunk is spacious, easy to access, etc.
    5)HATE the shifter. No solid 'lock' when it goes into D, just a funky arrangement.

Anyway, set up right, with an MFD in a HSD version I think I'd really like the Camry Hybrid as a comfortable family car, esp. when the 3 kids are older/bigger and space will be important.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 12 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]477468[/snapback]</div>
    Not in the Hybrid Camry, the battery does take up space. Which amazes me that Russell was able to pack as much stuff as he says they did into the trunk.

Wayne