1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In desperate need of help with tires.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrew4590, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Andrew4590

Andrew4590 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Prius used. The dealer put Kelly Explorer plus tires on and I noticed them having trouble with rain in the summer. I could not afford new tires at the time as I lost my job. I have a job now and unfortunately I have been in two very low speed accidents due to the winter.

I want a very good all season tire that can handle snow especially here in Iowa when it comes. I can not aford winter/summer tires each year. I was looking at the Michelin defender and Nokian WRG2 ties.

I'm looking for recommendations for a really good winter /mpg/summer tire for all year. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it as I do not want another accident!

Thank you all for any help. I really do appreciate the time you take to respond!

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  3. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have the Nokian WRG2 tires, they are really good for summer/rain and help with snow but still can't perform like real winter tires. For the winter I switch to Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires which give me confidence to go almost anywhere (as long as the snow isn't deeper than the bottom of my car!). The only downside to the WRG2 tires for me is that they are wearing quickly (evenly), I have 27,000 miles on them so far and will probably only get 35,000 or so before replacing. MPG's are fine, I get 45-50 with them in summer.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I use the Nokian WRg2 on my 2004 Prius (and my wife's Jetta). They handle snow/ice/wet as well as any tires I have ever had and are as good as many snow tires in winter weather. They are LRR and will improve your MPG compared to the tires you now have on your car. Mine have always held up for more than 50k miles and have a treadware guaranty from Nokian.

JeffD

5. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. Andrew4590

Andrew4590 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys can you recommend any other tires?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind Goodyear Integrity was the original Gen2 tire. The Integrity does not get stellar ratings but, to be honest, we never had a problem. We replaced with Goodyear Assurance ComforTread which are excellent tires and I still got 'em on the rear its been around 80000 miles and they are still OK tread, same MPG as Integrity.
    Since then there are newer options; I would say Defender has some mixed review so far. I get all my Prius tires on TireRack.com you can log on and see their reommendations. On the front I now have the Continental ProContact EcoPlus, but I think they have a newer version (with hopefully better treadlife). The Bridgestone 422 seems to be a popular choice. F8L is our expert.

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Private message the creator of FREE barely used BRIDGESTONE Blizzard snow tires! Originally posted 2/23/2013. If his request to giveaway the tires are true, maybe he still has them? If so, perhaps pay for shipping to Iowa or perhaps a spring/summer road trip to Atlanta?