1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In Japan, where Prius & Insight are top sellers, aftermarket "tuners" are already at work

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In Japan, where Prius & Insight are top sellers, aftermarket "tuners" are already at work.

(note that the actual article is in English)
    Silent But Deadly JDM Hybrids - The Next Generation | The Real JDM - Interactive

(I can't stop laughing over the NOS tank in the back of the Insight! Hahahaha!)

I'm surprised that the aftermarket body kits haven't been more prevalent in the U.S. I would think that "clean-styled" body kits for the Prius would be in demand in the U.S.

2. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SILENT BUT DEADLY?!.... ha ha ha ha ha

I have to admit that black Insight looks pretty hot in it's own way.

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm assuming that you, like the great majority of people, don't really have any social contact with those in the tuning circle. Modification of Priuses has been going on for years, although admittedly I have not heard about top-level garages such as Top Secret to be involved.

We've been talking about it here for months as well:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/59366-led-in-08-headlight.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/64031-ssr-wheels-prius.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/53265-post-pics-your-prius-w-rims-6.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/63419-what-springs-lower-prius-most.html

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Modification on a personal vehicle is different from what Rybold has posted. Tuners modify cars and then sell them back as a modified model. They're not one-off models like the Kenstyle. They use their own parts to replace the OEM parts and come with a warranty.

5. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You guys might be interested in SEMA this year :cool:

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

6. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I vote to ban Doug and the Prius Team unless they provide some teasers and some pics. :)

7. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This shows that there are now enough Priuses on the streets, that there is now a market for several different companies to sell aftermarket body kits for the Prius. But my main point is that it shows that the Prius is now considered cool to the tuners and import magazines. I think that is a HUGE transitional point in history.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    seriously? wow.... FiveAxis did a nice TCH... I love the glowing HSD emblem!

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "Rice boys" is now considered derogatory so I'm calling you guys "Sticker boys". ;)

I wonder how the HSD would respond to, say, 20% more HP from the ICE? I guess we'll find out soon!

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I must have missed something (I unfortunately can't read Japanese) because the English part of the blog and the posted images seem to specifically portray the car as a new target for tuning shops to develop parts for and only within that scope.

I'm looking at the websites for these companies for some mention of them doing something other than parts development and tuning of individual cars. At the moment I'm unable to find what you're talking about with any of the ones mentioned (or it may not be posted in the catalog or services section of their websites) where they offer warranty-backed, pre-tuned vehicles:

Top Secret:
    Welcome to the official TOP SECRET Homepage

Gialla:
    GIALLA

Kenstyle:
    KENSTYLE WEB SITE

Exclusive Zeus:
    EXCLUSIVE ZEUS -AERO PARTS-

I think it would be fantastic if someone had a pre-tuned Prius for offer in the same fashion as what David Buschur's shop does with their BR330 Lancer Evolution (e.g. modified from stock, with a warranty).

It's certainly a particular look and philosophy, and not for everyone...

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess eventually if enough people order parts, they'll make a pre-made vehicle. I mean, Mugen has a sweet bodykit for the Insight.

12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bonzi!!!!!

13. devante

devante New Member

Model:
    IV
    Yes that's absolutely correct.