1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In Room Wi-Fi at the Hotel

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JimN, Jan 16, 2008.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't stay in many hotels but haven't found one with a strong wi-fi signal in the room. My USB adapter works fine in the lobby. This occurs in Days Inn, Quality Inn, Innkeeper, and The Brant(?) (the old Adams Mark in Charlotte, NC). Is it my cheap-o eHome device or is this a common experience?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find that the USB adapters are not that great because they use a very small antenna and they are usually under powered. I would only use a USB wifi stick if you could actually see the wifi router. My 802.11b Orinoco Gold card can pick up signals very well. It does even better when I hook up an external antenna to it. I would say if you want to always get the best signal get a good PCMCIA card. They cost a little more but they are worth it. I just picked up a new Orinoco 802.11b/g card for $65 to replace my old Orinoco 802.11b card. I also picked up the Linksys WRT54GL to do some hacking with. :)

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you've got a way to continuously watch signal strength as
    you walk around with the laptop, watch it as you walk away
    from the lobby [where at least one of the APs likely is]. Then
    get a friend with a different setup to do the same... not
    all the interfaces have reasonable antennas, i.e. geared for the
    home market where it doesn't have to punch very far..
    _H*

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had varying degrees of success with hotel/motel wi-fi. I don't need to worry about it anymore, though. I got mobile broadband about a year ago. You can't beat the portability, and I'm no longer dependent on someone else's network (other than Sprint's) when I'm traveling.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure Wi-Fi is generally available in individual hotel/motel rooms, so I don't think your usb receiver is a problem. I don't travel often in the US, but my international experience has been that public areas like a lobby, bar or meeting room of a hotel might have free Wi-Fi, but internet service in the individual rooms is wired and cost money.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most hotels/motels I stay at now have in-room wireless.

I've never had good luck with USB adapters.

If you really want range try something like this:

Ultimate Range Notebook Kit || Notebook Wifi

I also ask specifically for a room with a good signal when I make the reservation. They genrally know which ones are better :)

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife's older laptop doesn't have built-in wireless so I bought a USB WiFi stick. Shame on me for going cheap! We live in a small condo and she can't receive a steady signal in the living room from the den where the wireless router is. My work computer with the built-in always has a very strong signal.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When we stay in hotels, we always travel with a cable so we can just directly plug in. Sometimes the WiFi works, sometimes it doesn't, but hotels are supposed to have connectors available in the rooms.
    It's just one less source of frustration.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks all for the advice.

10. Clubford00

Clubford00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Im actually in a Holiday inn epress in Kenosha wis right now and the wi fi is really good. 3rd floor in the room. Only downside is my slingbox is connecting much slower than at home it works and i can see and hear everything, but its a little grainy.

11. haiku88

haiku88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you use a USB extension cable you can move the wifi adapter if reception is a problem, sometimes a foot or so makes a big difference....or if that fails it is easy to build a wifi wok, see http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
    I made one from a small Weber BBQ lid and it works great...

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a wifi card for my PDA which picks up an excelent signal from one side of my home to the other. You get a better signal strength if you are away from walls especially solid walls like brick.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Some hotels have ethernet plugs in the rooms. Some do not. Hotels are not "supposed to" have anything they don't want to provide. Some have free wifi. Some have free ethernet. Some charge. Some have wifi only in the lobby. Some have it in the room. Some have free wifi in the lobby but charge for internet in the rooms!

I've had mixed experience with hotel wifi. Sometimes the signal strength is inadequate, sometimes it's fine. Sometimes the wifi is incompatible with my laptop, and at some hotels I've struggled for hours, only to find that they know their wifi is incompatible with many wifi cards.

I've had better luck with my Nokia N800 than with my laptop, but I've been places where the N800 did not work while other folks' laptops did, even though I had excellent signal strength.

I've never had any trouble with ethernet, when it's available, but often it's not.