1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the market for a new Prius, need advice.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jamessicat408, Nov 16, 2011.

1. jamessicat408

jamessicat408 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys, I recently fell in love with a Toyota Prius when I had it as a rental car. And I think I am ready to buy my own. So can you guys tell me what I need to know? Are they reliable enough for me to turn down the expensive extended warranty Toyota sells? Are used 2010s worth buying?

Also, should I wait until the 2012s come out and purchase a 2011 to save money? I really don't like how they made the 2012 look a bit luxurious. And how much should I pay for a 2011 Prius II BASE having blizzard pearl as the only option. I live in the Bay Area and probably will drive 10-15k miles a year.

Thanks everyone!:cheer2:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! First things first... what is your typical commute like? What do you expect out of the Prius fuel-economy wise?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the 11 and 12 were the same.

4. jamessicat408

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My commute will be 90% highway about 50-60 miles everyday. The 2012 model has some slight changes.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    extremely reliable, used 2010 is okay but check it for squeaks and rattles over a bumpy road in cold weather. hard to say at this point if the 11's will be discounted much when the 12's come out.

6. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the Southern Cal area the dealers have a lot of Prii. The one thing to wait for in the 12 is the Entune option, if that doesn't interest you and you want a pkg 2, then go for an 11, don't think they will get much cheaper. You might want to call some of the So. Cal dealers, you might find lower prices, I'm thinking Longo, Carson Toyota and Santa Monica Toyota, also Miller Toyota, those our the big dealers down here. Good Luck!

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With the flat roads around San Jose, high 40s should be no problem on your commute. Toyota Sunnyvale is probably one of the larger hybrid dealers in the area, but it's usually a serious YMMV when it comes to pricing. I will say that I have been using Piercey for service and have been very happy with them.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are dealing 2011's now. Check Toyo S'vale's good,better,best prius ads on weekend Drive section. Nice dealer discount plus $1k cash back or 1.9 apr.

'11 pri II ... $21,688 + tax/fee ( about $21,888 bliz pearl)

9. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking about waiting for the 2012's. But I didn't want the mandatory noisemaker which is coming on all 2012's. Also I got a good discount on the 2011, so I went ahead and bought a 2011 Barcelona Red Prius 3 about a month ago.

The best reason to wait for a 2012 would be to get the Entune package. Almost made me hold off, but I have no regrets, I'm quite happy with my 2011 Prius.

10. jamessicat408

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So are you guys pretty comfortable about the reliability of the car? I mean I've bought a Toyota (scion) before and they somewhat force you into buying those extra warranties and crap, and they are expensive!

Also I'm looking at a used 2010 Prius II Blizzard 14k miles certified used (corporate fleet) in one of my local dealers, for 19,800. is that worth it?

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I skipped extended warranty for 2006, but you have to decide for yourself based on input from this site. Lower cost extended guarantee version may be avail here on this site. Various new versions out- the v wagon, the plug in, so consider what you want to buy and enjoy it. Also CA saleperson here Dianne.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep.

Force? I've never bought any extended warranty on my Toyota. My parents have never bought any on the 3 they had/have. IMHO, Toyota's don't need extended warranties or at least the cost of it isn't worth it vs. what you might get out of it. You should be able to get a better deal on an extended warranty here on Priuschat, if you really want to go that route.

If you think all that other stuff is crap, decline it.

FWIW, I bought my 06 Prius new from Toyota Sunnyvale. I was satisfied w/the buying experience and wouldn't hesitate to shop there again.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I 2nd that about Toyota Sunnyvale. They paired me with the coolest sales mgr named David Garske. They were very professional from the spotless office and floors to the nice detailing of the car. I appreciate the hassle free pricing. The F&I agent was cool too.

They presented the prepaid maintenance plan. First I was guessing the price of services. Finally went down to service halfway through doing all the paperwork to get exact prices of the services. Turns out the price you pay up front is the same as the separate services, but you'd pay tax if you pay for each service. Also, the service costs may go up over the years. Plus, can cancel the program with only a $25 penalty. So, went for the 5 yr/55k plan which can extend to 6 years. The first 2 years are free anyway now, so really only getting 3 or 4 years after that.

I declined the extended warranty. You can buy it during the basic 3 year coverage period. Or not.

15. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm, I was quoted $980 for the optional 5/75k ToyotaCare Plus plan from my normal ext warranty contact. Is that about what you paid?

MB860 ?

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 was completely reliable. Not a hint of mechanical problems. Only had the JBL audio head unit switched out. Common problem with volume knob. No hassle.

Both purchases at Toyota, they push the pre-paid maintenance a good bit. I've bought it twice and declined extended warranty.

The II doesn't have bluetooth handsfree phone controls which I really appreciate having. Can add a kit later.

I think the bliz upcharge is $220, so I at TS, that would be $21,908 + tax/fees brand new.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall the quote for extended warranty. They quoted 7 yr/75k maintenance about $1750.

18. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think you have up until the primary wears out (25K miles / 2 years) to buy an extended warranty, so you could wait a bit and get a feel for the car. That's from fuzzy recollection, so double check if you want to go that route.

The one thing I'd really recommend for a fellow blizzard pearl buyer is the clear bra protection, whether from the dealer or elsewhere. We didn't go for that, and after 14 months on bay area roads, paint chips on the hood do show more than we'd wish.

19. jamessicat408

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got quoted in Sunnyvale Toyota @ $23,676.55 including tax, dmv, rebate.

Prius II blizzard pearl only option

20. jamessicat408

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Edit: Are the smartkey started for all the trims?