1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the midst of an exceptional tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, May 6, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't post about my fuel economy much any more. I do well, in general, and don't usually feel a need to brag about each and every 'good' tank.

But even I'm a bit excited about the potential in my current tank. I've had good runs with my usual commute so far and hope to maintain things for another 200 miles.
    [​IMG]

BTW, this is the consumption screen for my trip home from work today....~15 miles.

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]436502[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know how you guys do that!! :rolleyes:
    Can never get over 52mpg oh once was 54 mpg
    but still great to me
    do the P&G and still 51.5-52 etc.. we must have the lemon :eek: just kidding I think the 50's are great

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congratulations, Evan! Now, to hold that 70 mark ...

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 6 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]436511[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, that's the tough part...one day of several short trips, rainy weather and bad traffic and it's shot...and I've got at least another 200 miles to blow it!

5. gamiller

gamiller New Member

Thats great , the best tank for me so far was 62.3 post ending figure

6. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

I live in a "hilly" area and can achive very good MPG on the way to work (more down hill then up), but have not so good on the way back. I can't help but wonder if SOME people post thier "good" milage, but leave out the bad. Not that I want to be difficult... But sometimes people comunicate the good, but leave out the bad (in this case I would assume the excitment of good MPG can be tempting). So, the long and short is, if you get MPG that makes you happy, BE HAPPY. If someone gets better MPG, good for them. Some people are rich, some are not.. Such is life. Most cars (unless VERY small and plain) never achieve 40MPG. MOst if not all Prius get that good or better. If so, concider yourself luck to have such an advanced car with so many comforts that gets 40+MPG (and for some people a tax break to boot)!

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetMan2 @ May 6 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]436522[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, I live in a hilly area too....But the final elevation at work and home are about the same. If you look at the photo this is a full tank mileage for 400 miles, not just one good commute. In fact, I often have better looking consumption graphs than this but had to drive during a busier part of the afternoon today.

Also, you can see my lifetime mileage in my signature. If you care to you can look up my tank to tank mpg at greenhybrid.com (same screen name) and see that my mpg has gotten progressively better over the 3 1/2 years I've had the car, with lots of sub-50 mpg tanks and a couple sub-40 mpg tanks in my first year, A few sub-50s my second year. An occasional the 3rd year, and none in the past year. I'm not trying to show any individual run or tank, I've had short commutes that averaged in the mid-80s and never post those...IMO they don't "count".

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another 200 miles....c'mon Evan, go for the 700 mile tank.

Wayne

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 6 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]436525[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe...we'll see, I'm on 3 pips and have been for over 50 miles...meaning I'll be at 2 very soon and those last two go away pretty quickly. I've never filled more than about 9.3 gallons so I'm a bit anxious about pushing too far. These early '04 tanks just don't seem to do as well as some of the later ones...at least mine doesn't.

10. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fantastic, it gives the rest of us hope and something to shoot for.

11. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]436502[/snapback]</div>
    Hello,

Could you describe what you are doing for some of us newbies.
    specifically:

1) How does your first 5 minutes look and do you do anything different then to keep the mileage up. It is hard for me to get over 30 MPG in the first 5 minutes.
    2) Are you ever going above 42 MPH. If you do, do you have a technique that keeps your mileage up.
    3) Are you adjusting your route to and from work to get the most advantageous fuel econemy in both directions.
    4) Are you concerned with the SOC and do you use the EV mode on specific segments.
    5) Lastly are you keeping up with traffic and is P & G a problem where you are due to traffic.

Thanks

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use an engine block heater and tend to get b/w 40-60mpg over the first 5 min. Closer to 25-30 when I can't use the EBH. Also, I maintain 1275 RPM and minimize battery use (ie I go really slow) for the first 30-60 seconds until the car completes Stage I. At that point I begin my routine of P&G with 'sweet spot' pulsing in the 1700-2300RPM range.
    An excellent question. I DO exceed 42 MPH, but only downhill in a hyperstealth condition...ICE spins but no fuel flow.
    I take the same route to and from work, but it is different than the one I used to use. None of the roads have a speed limit greater than 40mph and the first half (outgoing) is pretty rural. The second half is in the city.
    I don't usually need to use EV mode except in the city stretch if I have stop and go traffic where I can exceed 35mph to get into stealth. I don't really pay much attention to the SOC other than to be sure I can stay in stealth at the end of longer glides. The car and technique take care of it.
    I do keep up with regular traffic. I get passed once in a while by impatient folk, usually at rush hour and such, but I rarely go more than 2mph below the posted limit when there are other cars around. I do extend that low end a bit slower when I have the road to myself (not infrequent with my work schedule). I do not believe my driving should interfere with the regular flow of traffic, but I won't speed just b/c someone is on my butt either.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is awesome Evan!!!

I'm jealous!

14. lazyleo

lazyleo New Member

The one thing I've noticed that's gotten me more mileage is when coming into a town that has the mph go from 55 down to 30, instead of just letting off the gas, I'll just put the car into neutral. The car won't slow down as quickly and infact, on level ground, if timed correctly matches all the speed slowdowns. I usually end up doing 20 in a 30 by the time I'm getting close to a stop sign, then I put the car back into drive to slow down again. Seems odd, but it's working. So far, I've averaged 53.3 mpg this tank. And this is the first "good one" with the warming summer months.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lazyleo @ May 7 2007, 01:18 AM) [snapback]436701[/snapback]</div>
    Ray Moore posted a couple days ago and that's essentially what he does. Many of us hypermiler nerds feel that that is not the most efficient way to maintain that momentum. What we tend to do is feather the pedal so that there's no fuel flow and minimal battery flow to the wheels...that's what I mean when I say 'hyperstealth glide' in the questions I answered above.

The advantage, I think, is that as soon as you hit 41mph the ICE will shut off....it does not do that in Neutral. Also, the entire time you're in neutral there is a small amount of fuel being burned to keep the ICE spinning since it's disconnected from MG1...which is what keeps it spinning when in hyperstealth. Also, if you do need to brake you still get regenerative braking. In neutral you have only the friction brakes. Plus there are potential safety and legal considerations of using neutral this way.

But rest assured, the concept you're employing, in general, is the right one for maximizing FE at higher speed glide/slowing to stop conditions.

16. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's a beautiful screen, Evan. My suggestion is to fill up at 70.0 or 1 pip, whichever comes first. :D

Holding onto a 70 mpg is not unlike the guy who keeps 8 plates spinning on rods at one time. It's work. :)

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mparrish @ May 7 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]436933[/snapback]</div>
    I can't cheat, it's an ethical thing for me. I do, sometimes, fill up with 2 pips on the display when I know I'm going on a longer drive. I do that both b/c gas tends to be cheaper where I live than anywhere else that I go and for the sake of convenience...so I don't have to fill up while away. And so I can use my 'favorite' gas pump.

But, in the abscenceof a good reason, I fill up just before or just after the last pip starts flashing. So yea, lots of potential pitfalls that could drop that mpg lower....lost 0.1mpg just this morning taking my kid's to school (short 5 miles each way with traffic).

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]436523[/snapback]</div>
    How cold does it get in the winter in your area? I know it can be quite cold at times in Columbia, where my daughter lives.

In any case, congratulations on a great tank.

Dave M.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 7 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]437166[/snapback]</div>
    We get cold spells from time to where it will be below zero (I think we had some -20 one day this year), lots of days in the teens and 20s with an average in the coldest months prob. b/w 35-40 degrees. Not terrible, but enough to get the battery and ICE temps down pretty quickly. I used the EBH religiously, park in a garage at home and really optimized that 'sweet spot' P&G.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You mean you've never had 700 miles on one tank of gas?
    :lol:
    I WISH I were telling the truth :p