1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the shop for 29 days !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shar1950, Dec 8, 2008.

1. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my 2007 with just 37000 klm prius back from the shop after being there for 29 days. They replaced just about every thing on the engine that you can think of. They found out that # 2 cylinder not working right,low compression,rpl coil and the wrong plugs that were factory installed. Put back together and still not working. Now remove engine and take apart...remove piston from cylinder...found compression ring seized to piston....carbon build-up the cause of the problem.... well I think the wrong plugs must have cause all this problem.
    Now they installed the new short block and positon sensor,all the gaskets and they check everything again. Still not running right...vvt controller not locking into position....install new controller and timing gear. Car now ready, everything checks out.....29 days without my car.. 8 days taxing to work ....all the inconveniences....costs of going to the city to pick-up car and the people at Toyota Canada tells me that Toyota Canada is not obligated because I didn't have the extented warranty........I will think thing pretty long and hard before buying another car from Toyota.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry you're having so many issues. What was the initial problem of the Prius? There are some dealerships out there that are less than capable, and they could've just been working on the symptoms and not the actual problem. If you're still willing to keep going on this, I'd try a shot at another dealership.

3. billarb

billarb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OUCH!!! While this sounds like a nightmare, I have to agree that it does sound like an issue with respect to the shop.

4. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you guys thinks it's just a that dealership's issue, I should be talking to the service manager ??? While travelling to Edmonton,the service engine light started to flash and within klm,I phoned Toyota and they had it towed to a dealership.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a Lemon law in Canada? Here in the US, generally speaking, if the car cannot be fixed after 3 trys the manufacture is suppose to give you a new car.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think they have tried to fixed it but unsuccessful with three diagnosis. The compression ring problem is extremely unusual problem which requires tearing down the engine to find.
    For 29 days is not that long with the works they have done.

I have an engine block replaced due to bottom noise from a Toyota dealer, it took 3 weeks.

It is unfortunate the dealer would not provide you with alternate transportation as they have no obligation to do so under the basic 3yr/36000mile factory warranty.

7. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if there is a lemon law in canada, I will look into that now.....

8. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Service engine??? All that means is that you need an oil change. Was the car running normally at the time of the light?

"Check engine" is a different story. Typically that light means that the car has detected a fault with the emissions system or something that impacts the emissions system. But most of the time a CEL does not require a tow truck.

9. billarb

billarb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would definitely have a chat with the service manager. I've had instances (with Chrysler products) where it seemed that the technicians were using a process of elimination to diagnose a problem. While that goes on, the costs associated with the repair continue to go up. I've been able to successfully negotiate reductions in repair bills for these types of situations. If the manager knows you're unhappy with what's taken place, he/she may seek some assistance from Toyota to get it diagnosed and squared away promptly.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    their original diagnosis was not firmly rooted in evidence.

is the car working now or not?

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    in the united states the basic warranty will cover a rental car aka transportation assistance:
    if the warranty repairs will take longer then 1 day
    or if the warrantable condition requires extensive diagnosis
    or if the parts needed for the warranty repairs are not readily available and your vehicle is inoperative or unsafe to drive.

i dont know about canada though, it may be different

if you get the extended warranty, then you will get transportation assistance for the 100,000 miles period.

if your car was under the basic warranty, i would call toyota direct and send them your bills

the exception is if the repairs are only overnight due to scheduling conflicts between you and the dealer. then the transportation assistance does not apply

12. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry.....I might have mistaken the service engine flashing with the other and I notice that the car was idling pretty roughly. But after phoning toyota canada, they had it towed.....not my decision...... The warranty that Toyota has in the USA is a lot differant than what we Canadian get !!!!!

13. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't buy a cat from Toyota either.

14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is no transportation assistance in Canada.

TOYOTA CANADA : Service > Owner's Info > Warranty

15. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think that, if the dealer allready had the car for 6 days, that the service advisor would have some idea of what the problem is and give me the ok to rent a car and that they would take care of the cost...... they offered nothing, until I phone Toyoya Canada on the Nov 18/08, and she ok the car rental then......

16. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd never buy a cat from toyota....:cheer2:

17. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok...ok....I fixed the cat.....my car is running good now

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is unfortunate that your car suffered this most unusual problem. It is also unfortunate that the Canadian warranty does not offer a free loaner vehicle for long-duration warranty repairs as a matter of routine.

If carbon buildup was noticed, this implies cylinder #2 misfire which should have caused the engine ECU to log DTC P0302, and the check engine light should have come on. Did that light appear for some time prior to your noticing driveability issues?

It is also interesting to note that the VVT was a separate problem. I wonder if that was damaged as the head was disassembled from the original engine block.

Did the head need to be decarbonized, since cyl #2 showed signs of carbon buildup?

In any event, I am glad that your car is now back in service, I hope that you will enjoy troublefree performance during the remainder of your ownership.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they busted the vvt controller taking it apart. DH knows exactly how that went down, they f'd up. it happens a lot to people who don't know Wth they're doing.

3 possibilities for carbon buildup.
    -very poor quality fuel. this would be present in ALL cylinders.
    -insufficient spark from coil.
    -wrong plugs/wrong plug gap.
    did you buy the car new? if so, has the dealership been the only one to work on the car? how did those plugs get in there?

20. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I first noticed the rough idleing after stopping to pick-up timmy's coffee at the drive through. About 10 km later the check engine light started to flash. Within 30 seconds the light stayed on all the time.I pulled over,checked all the fuilds...every thing ok... I phoned Toyota.
    I purchased the car new at the dealership in Edmonton. They have done all the services to date on this car. The plugs were right from the factory. All compression was 140 psi in all cylinders except for #2 which was only 90 psi. Would you not notice the wrong plug gap,maybe rough idling and some service engine light for emissions !!!