1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inactive Prius = Dead Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NYCPRII, Apr 24, 2006.

1. NYCPRII

NYCPRII New Member

Greetings.

I've been searching the various forums to find out if keeping a new 06 Prius parked and inactive will drain the power and degrade the longevity of the battery.

Let me explain. You see, I live in NYC and commute exclusively to work via the "iron horse". My current car- a 90' Corolla is parked on the street, where side street parking rules are in effect. I normally have to move it about twice per week in order to avoid getting a ticket. If I were to move it any other time, I would more than likely lose the parking spot, and parking space in NYC is extremely difficult to find.

My fear is, since the Prius is heavily dependent on the battery pack, would inconsistent or low usage of the car cause me to have problems later, especially when the temperature dips? Would I have a hard time starting the car, or have the battery conk out on me when taking trips to Florida?

Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

As someone who has owned and worked on an electric vehicle and understands batteries fairly well, I would say you shouldn't worry about it. Maybe if you left the car for months there might be a concern, but leaving it for a few days at a time is fine.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you start it once every 2-3 weeks the 12v battery will stay charged. As long as you start it every 6 months the HV battery will recharge. I would recommend driving around for 15-30 minutes to allow the ICE to warm up and charge the HV battery as very brief start ups and shut downs can drain the battery pretty low.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, fellow NYer.

I used to park in Brooklyn for 6 months before I move closer to work in LI. I started the car right up during the winter, no problems at all. I also parked on the streets. So like others said, don't worry about it.