1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inaugural HOV Ride Today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoVaSnow, May 15, 2006.

1. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I picked up my Seaside Pearl #6 Saturday from Miller Toyota, Manassas, VA. The entire dealer experience was great. They offered all the extras (environmental protection, extended warranty, etc.), but there was no pressure. I didn't bite (never do on these things).

This morning was one of those lovely rainy commutes on I-66 into DC. It was fun going between 45 and 60 in HOV while the regular lanes crawled along.

I've used about a gallon of gas so far (49 miles on the ODO, 45.3 AVG MPG). My daily commute is 52 miles round-trip. When I get the hang of it, I look forward to using one gallon of gas per day.

2. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife had the Prius in the I-95 HOV lanes for the first time last Thursday. I think she might have had a smile on her face going to work! :)

We'll be using the Prius every day starting in July. Looking forward to not stopping at the gas station quite so often.

3. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On my return trip, HOV was inconsequential, as this was one of those rare afternoons when the traffic was flowing smoothly in all lanes.

With 74 miles on the ODO, I've got my AVG MPG up to 46.5.

4. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yay for the new Prius!

However, I want to warn you...the HOV rules exempt cars with Clean Fuel Plates, not hybrids. So if you get pulled over, they can write you a ticket until you have the proper plates. DMV

Be careful! And welcome to the family.

5. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ May 15 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]256049[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reminder. I am aware of that. I just thought I'd chance it. Considering how few single-occupant non-hybrids get pulled over in I-66, I figure they'll leave me alone.

Now up to 99 miles on the ODO. My MPG is up to 48.0. I even had a 5-minute segment of about 95 this morning.

And I had my first thumbs-up from a Black Prius. Stopped at a light, the guy opened his window and asked me how I liked it. I told him I loved it after 3 days. He said the same after 2 years and drove off.

6. steventoddcurtis@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ May 15 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]256049[/snapback]</div>

I'm waiting for the clean fuel plates myself. Anyone out there know a time estimate on getting these plates from the VA DMV? Gotta beat that July 1st deadline!

7. mike0422

mike0422 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chepri @ May 18 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]257553[/snapback]</div>
    I got my Clean Fuel plates in a couple of weeks.

I've had my Prius since 4/22. I'm averaging about 52 mpg and loving every m of it.

8. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chepri @ May 18 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]257553[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that as long as:
    • the car was registered before July 1, or
    • you requested the plates before July 1,
    you'll be okay.

I'm not sure if it's the registration that counts or the request. In either case, you are okay. I should be able to submit my request by July 1, too, so I'm not worried.

9. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You shouldn't have any trouble making the deadline. Here's my experience:

4/12 - Car delivered - dealer ordered regular plates.
    4/20 - Regular plates issued
    4/27 - I faxed to DMV (you cannot get Clean Fuel plates at your local DMV) my application for Clean Fuel plates.
    5/4 - Clean fuel plates arrived

Because you can't get the Clean Fuel plates at your local DMV office but have to mail (or fax is faster) the form to the DMV Headquarters, the process takes longer than just standing in line at DMV.

Here's a link to VA DMV that explains the process. Even though I bought the Prius in April and had plenty of time 'til July 1st, I did everything I could to speed the process of getting my Clean Fuel plates

And here's a link to the law. It includes: "On and after July 1, 2006, license plates provided for in this section shall be issued with a new design distinctively different from the design of license plates issued to owners of vehicles that qualify for license plates under this section whose applications are received by the Department prior to July 1, 2006." As of July 1, 2006, all new Clean Fuel plates will have a new design.

Also note that this isn't a problem if you don't use, or don't think you ever will use, the HOV lanes on I95/395. "For the purposes of subdivision A 6 of § 33.1-46.2, on HOV lanes serving the I-95/395 corridor, only vehicles registered with and displaying special license plates issued under this section prior to July 1, 2006, shall be treated as vehicles displaying special license plates issued under this section."

If you know you'll never use I95/395 HOV lanes, there's no additional rush to get a plate before July 1st ... although as HokieHybrid already pointed out, you technically need Clean Fuel plates before taking your Prius onto any Virginia HOV lanes.

10. steventoddcurtis@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenGene @ May 18 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]257610[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. It's good to have a ballpark wait time to expect.

Much to the slugs dismay, I'm looking forward to using saving 20 miles a day not having to pick someone up to go 95 hov. I've been getting some weird looks picking up slugs in the prius the last week.