1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inauguration Excess while world suffers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Robert Taylor, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

http://www.anncoulter.org/cgi-local/article.cgi

This trip down memory lane leaves something out: the suffering in Haiti.
    The ceaseless whiners that want to run down American traditions on some new specious pretext just make me want to :pukeright:

Why in 2005 cannot we just be happy over the continued existence of the republic and its institutions after an election and let the carping cease for a day? (answer: Americans view politics as entertainment, "Journalism in Tennessee" still lives!)

2. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Personally I'm of the opinion that Inauguration shouldn't be a festivity but something that sorta happens like in court behind closed doors and everyone is back to business.

3. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

The republic has long celebrated its Inauguratons though, and there is some real history behind some of them. For example, when General Jackson was sworn in, it was the result of a campaign by his supporters to end voting by freeholders only, those whose owned land that was paid for. He was the leader in a prior close election, the House gave the victory to #4 place finisher if I recall correctly, and his Inaugural was the victory of the common man being able to vote. Washington was scandalized at Old Hickory's inaugural because his supporters were common people who just hopped onto the furniture such as upholstered chairs, to get a better look at their champion as he took the prize for all of them. The upper class considered the south to be populated with muddy tobacco chewing rednecks with no class, and believed Washington had been invaded by the herd of the unthinking followers of their leader.

Some things never change.

4. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, Andrew Jackson was elected under the banner of the Democratic party. I am wondering if most of his constituents were too.

5. pepa

pepa New Member

This inauguration cost is roughly $40 million. Clinton's second inauguration cost was $30 million. Recalculated at 3% inflation over 8 years, it is around $39 million.

Everyone who cried about the excess back then, please raise you hand.

6. techogurl

techogurl New Member

*hand raised*

This is just my 2 cents, but I feel that government officials shouldn't be celebrated. I mean technically their job is to some extent prone to a certain celebritihood... but seriously it's a waste of money and time. We elect and pay for them to do a job...not to party and use the money to promote themselves.

7. pepa

pepa New Member

You were protesting Clinton's inauguration expenses at the age of 16? :wink:

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The times, they are different.

In 1996 we were enjoying days of peace and prosperity.

Today, we are at war; U.S. troops are being killed and maimed daily. Many of our fellow citizens are struggling to make ends meet, while an extravaganza of gluttony is being celebrated in our nation’s capital.

FDR followed his wartime swearing in ceremony with a luncheon of chicken salad and pound cake.

9. tag

tag Senior Member

I don't know about that but this -----> [​IMG]......what in the hell is that?

"Put your paws over your head and back slowly away from the Meow Mix" ???

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think it's obscene to spend that kind of money glorifying one man (cult of personality) while children are homeless and lack basic medical care.

I said this when Clinton was innaugurated, and I say it now for the Shrub. I would not go so far as to say it should be behind closed doors. It should be in public, and televised. But it should cost no more to put on than a press conference.

11. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Children do not get denied medical care, everyone else ends up footing the bill after we detirmine that the parents can't pay. Some decry the lack of insurance but I submit that the insurance itself is the cause of most of the misery. If health insurance were outlawed and everyone had to foot the bill the costs for medical care would again be comparable to that of getting the dog sewn up. Face it, you can afford the medical care out of pocket for your pet but the cost of medical insurance is killing off economic growth and I'll tell you why. It gives an incentive for people to overuse the system, but the worst are the medicaid people, they pay absolutely nothing in a deductible or copay and I know one who actually goes to the emergency room for over the counter pain relivers. I know a couple who summon an ambulance one a month at least. If they paid so much as a 10 dollar bill out of what they get the next month, the rising demand for medical care would reverse and the costs would start to come down.

I knew a doc we retired 20 years ago well into his 80's, he is gone now, but he would take payment for services before WWII with chickens even!

Docs used to live with the middle class back in the 50's, health insurance drove up the demand and the price for their services, so it costs out the wazoo now.

Think about it, a vet can sew up my dog for far less than what an MD would charge.

As far as the homeless, let me tell you, THEY ALL GET A CHECK! Armies of social workers are out searching for a new client to give a check to and make them a case to keep that job they have. They live under a bridge because they want to.

Ever consider that we have millions of illegal immigrants in this nation but they don't live under the bridge?

12. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Heck, they don't spend enough. Do you know how much gets spent on the Superbowl? The crowd attending the event dumps a ton of money into the host city, entertainers provide an ever longer and more tilliating show, and the television ad take is breathtaking, its so large that new ads get rolled out for the Superbowl. I bet the total spending for ads, entertainers, salaries of players, take on the game, and all that memorabilia easily exceeds the paltry sum to celebrate the mechanics of our Republic as it celebrates its continued existence.

13. pepa

pepa New Member

The very purpose of our troops being out there doing what they are doing is so we (that includes you) can live our lifes as usual. THAT is the very reason for them to be there - and as far as I know they do understand their mission well. My son, who is due to go by the summer of this year, most certainly does.

And, by the way - I don't see the inauguration as "glorifying one man" at all - I see it as a celebration of the presidency and, by the same token, of our system. Because I think there is lot to be celebrated.

As far as the "citizens struggling to make ends meet" - would it suprise you to know that the economy is doing better today than it did during Clinton's second term? Check on some numbers for yourself. You can start with uneployment rates.

14. pepa

pepa New Member

I used that avatar because I found it funny. However, should you find it offensive in some way please let me know and I use different one.

15. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

[/quote]
    As far as the "citizens struggling to make ends meet" - would it suprise you to know that the economy is doing better today than it did during Clinton's second term? Check on some numbers for yourself. You can start with uneployment rates.
    [/quote]

The average rate of growth under Ronald Reagan was twentyfive percent higher than under Bill Clinton. I well recall how "Reaganomics" was used by Dan Rather as a slur until the tax cuts kicked in Jan/1983 and ended the recession and the use of "Reaganomics" as a newscasters expression.

No matter what year it is, most folks seem not to know that our armed forces BLEED every year to keep us free from harm. People die in operational and training accidents, from aquired sickness. Reserve forces have fatal accidents every year just going to annual training. Yes, our armed services are bleeding and for the betterment of the world.

Bush has a vision, a vision that implanted elected governments will change the culture that gives root to murderous gangs like Al Quada. That elected governments will challenge despots and that when people taste the freedoms they should have it undermines the despots.

Will it work? I do not know, many think that the peoples of the Middle East are basically too primitive to ever have a stable series of elected governments with power changes. But we must try.

God Bless our Republic.
    Pray for our leaders and our troops.

16. tag

tag Senior Member

Actually, I found it pretty hysterical. :lol:

.....just trying to get a rise out of all our resident cat luvers, here......looks like none of them took the bait, though. :wink:

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tag:

As a certified cat lover, I find that picture cute. It's been around the Internet for about 2 years now. Apparently, the guy trained his kitty to put his paws up, after which he gives a bit of food. At least that's the story, hope it's true.

About all I can train mine to do is roll on his back and put his paws up in the air. If he gets any fatter, that's probably how I'll find him one morning.

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have only managed to train mine how to wake me up in the morning, eat, poop, and sleep.

Oh yeah, and to keep things in perspective, let's not forget that W's initial offering for the tsunami victims was $15M before he "generously" upped it to $30M. The only thing that helps me sleep at night is that the minority of the inaugural check was paid for with tax payer money and the rest was picked up by people I probably don't agree with anyway.

19. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

20. pepa

pepa New Member

As per the tsunami operation, it's pretty much all here - account from someone who was actually involved. Happy reading.

Mr. Taylor - good post. I wish I could express myself as eloquently as you can. I do enjoy your posts very much.