1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inclination sensor calibration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by epoch_time, Apr 19, 2011.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried this inclination sensor calibration (procedure below) in hopes of more accurate gas guage. I have been through 2 tanks of gas without noticeing much if any difference on the guage. However I do notice electric motor assist is greater now by 3 to 8 amps on acceleration and electric motor hum is now equal to gas motor purr in regards to sound level. Electric motor hum used to be less before I preformed inclination adjustment.Also when stopped at a traffic light (on level ground) the electric motor is still pulling about 2 amps until I depress brake harder then current flow stops. This can be viewed on the energy monitor (arrows flowing away from battery symbol to motor symbol). My current (amperage) measurements are taken from a permenantly connected scan-guage.I'm also noticing that regenitive coasting current is about 3 to 4 amps less after inclination adjustment.Regenitive braking current seems the same aproximately 55 amp medium brake to 94 amp harder braking.I thought that my garage was level when I preformed inclination calibration. It is actually 1.5 to 2 degrees uphill. I will leave inclination setting right here for now. I'm getting about 3 or 4 more miles per gallon right now with electric motors working harder. I also notice HV battery warming up faster. I will probably recalibrate inclination sensor before summer temperatures to a level inclination setting for less electric motor assist and less HV battery drain and lower summer battery temperatures. Battery temperature has not been greater than 100 degrees fahrenheit (taken from scan-guage) over 12 days of observatons using this new inclination calibration setting.I don't recomend anyone try this unless you have electrical engineering experience and a scan-guage capable of reading HV battery current (amperage) and temperature..If you have programmed scan-guage I would suggest using 0009 0005 0001 math portion of instruction for fahrenheit reading rather than (0001 0001 0000) which displays celcius. Inclination calibration procedure found on priuschat for fuel guage calibration. Should be renamed;Hybrid motor assist proportion Inclination bias calibration (IMHO).Step 1: PARK ON A LEVEL SURFACE!!!! If you are on a slope you will reset the sensor to an incorrect level!!Step 2: Press the ODO/trip button to turn the odometer to trip AStep 3: Turn off the ignition and set the parking brake.Step 4: DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL! AT ALL! IT ISN"T NEEDED FOR THIS PROCEDURE!!Step 5: Press and hold the ODO/trip button and press the Power button twice.Step 6: Release and press the ODO/trip button three timesRelease-Press-Release-Press-Release-Press and HOLD.The Odometer on the combo meter should now be showing the normal mileage, as you hold the ODO/trip button down, the reading should change. Something along the lines of 650D0 or similar. The actual figures don't reallymatter.Step 7: Release and press the ODO/trip botton once more and HOLD it in. The figure will change again. This time, only ONE digit will change. 650D0>65010 as an example.This procedure is for prius gen II mine is a 2009.