1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Incognito EVs

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rjparker, Jun 4, 2024.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Incognito EVs in the Texas landscape

IMG_5255.jpeg
    No Teslas or Toyotas in sight.

bisco likes this.
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Although Tesla owners can get a CCS adapter, I would think it would be very rare to see a Tesla at a non-Tesla charger.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When beyond home charging range, I've regularly seen and competed for outlets with Teslas at free J1772 stations. So far, none of the multi-outlet J1772 stations I've visited that require payment, have been full.

Though having become a PHEV owner only this year, my sample size is still small.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Almost all paid chargers around here exceeds the cost of running my car on gas. Some even charge a plug-in fee on top of the Kwh used. What I really hate is a-holes parked in a EV slot with a non-EV car - they should incur handicap parking fines.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Apologies, I should have specified DC fast chargers. As the image of the charging station was a DC fast charging station, I relied on context.
    I should have been more explicit.

6. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice to see all fast charging stalls are actually working. At full potential though, that's a different story...

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The paid stations I have used, charged for electricity at rates from about half that of gasoline, to approximately par, to slightly over. In places with plenty of non-fossil electric energy, such as the entire Pacific Northwest, I have no problem paying a bit more than the gasoline equivalent.

Yes, I've seen some stations charging well above par. Skipped them.

There are still numerous free J1772 charge stations available here, as an amenity, but they seem too frequently filled. While "free fuel" is nice, it wouldn't bother me if they all started charging a fair price (not tourist trap rates). It seems that the initial incentive purpose has been achieved, now it is more important to expand the system and improve access.

#7 fuzzy1, Jun 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
    Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I guess my point was most people don’t recognize these cars as evs yet there are a lot of them out there.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was trying to convince my mom that a PHEV would be a great idea for her since she uses her garage and lives on free soil - so DIY L2 charging would be cheap and easy.
    She would not have to deal with gassing her car up a half dozen times a year (I do it when I drive up for a visit.)
    Unlike myself, she might actually pay less for amps than she does for petrol since gas is north of $3.50 in my beloved home state.
    (I paid $2.69 for my last fill-up)
    She's not interested in paying extra for a feature she feels she doesn't need - and she's NOT going to be a parking lot ornament like the poor Honda in the picture above!!

The wheels move slowly.....

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That Subaru is a Toyota.
    Your car is on the sharp end of the gas efficiency scale. The ICE and hybrid equivalent to to cars in the OP photo aren't. Some would even use premium gas. Costs will still be higher than home charging, but it is the minority using paid chargers only. With more EVs and more chargers, the fees for the slow ones should drop.

Even Superchargers will drop the rate when the pairs are are in use. Depending on the EV's charging rate, it may not matter. One of the other charge networks has chargers that don't cut the max rate when both plugs are in use by a set amount. They can vary the amount going to each car by what the cars need. When one car is calling for less energy, the charger can supply the other with more.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They do, and everyone is different.
    Since I started driving electric, my mom and dad each got BEVs. The each had different main reasons, but both love the convenience as well.

My brother got an EV pickup for work, sister-in-law picked up a BEV for kid hauling.

Niece and nephew are both planning on either a BEV or PHEV as their next car.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to get a PHEV but the prices are still prohibitively high.
    Think iPhones before the SE models came out.

I'm going to wait until they're more practical and the early adopters all get their second ones.
    BEVs are still a generation or two away.

It's 2024.
    100 years ago car ownership was around 10-15%.
    That would change rapidly in the post pandemic period before the little glitch in the economy in '29 - and car prices and infrastructure issues were a 'thing' back then too.
    It took more than one generation to adopt gas burners.
    The EVangelists will have to be a little more patient for them to be replaced.
    The historical similarities aren't perfectly aligned.
    Last time we had the pandemic DURING the world war and before the economic collapse..... :unsure:

I'm GLAD that there are PHEVs out there that look like normal cars AND I'm glad that some of the new BEVs look they were designed by somebody on shrooms.

#12 ETC(SS), Jun 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Honda was nice looking and rather large in person.

She was from out of town and Sunday cruising in her new car. Perhaps a mild dose of range anxiety on a 95 degree high uv day.

IMG_5255.jpeg

#13 rjparker, Jun 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  14. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's for V2 Superchargers. Doesn't apply to V3. Side note, V2 Superchargers will not be opened to other EVs, just V3 and V4.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nice, but how much does that add to costs vs a balanced pair that Electrify America uses?

A car isn't going to pull the full rate for the entire time, likely not even for the majority of it, and only busy locations could have a couple of cars arriving to a charger pair at the same time.

16. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cost to whom? Tesla or the owner? I'm not understanding the question.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla for the equipment and installation.
    Let's say V3 down rated for a pair of chargers like V2; 250kW for one or 125kW for both at once. Tesla's equipment supplying that pair, plus equipment on the grid side, needs to be able to handle 250kW. Since they don't down rate with two cars charging, the equipment has to handle 500kW.

A balanced pair can work with the 250kW, but instead of limiting both cars to 125kW no matter their need, one can pull over that if the other is using less.

19. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I'm glad I don't have to worry about what the other vehicle is pulling and for how long.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It adds up when installing thousands.

You might not even notice.
    https://insideevs.com/news/519382/tesla-model3-82kwh-charging-analysis/
    The only draws the max rate at the beginning when starting with a near depleted battery. Get to 40% SOC, and it is drawing less than 200kW. Unless you are stopping for less than 15 minutes, the difference between full rate to both vs a balanced set up may not register. It is unlikely both cars arrive at the same time. The first car will be slowing its rate as the other arrive, and not hitting the max rate at the start means being able to hold a slower, but still fast rate, for longer do to heat. The average charge rate in that test for 20% to 80% was 94kW.