1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inconspicuous EV Button installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Presto, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, after talking about it a whole bunch with my friend, and lots of procrastination, we finally have the EV button installed. One of the goals was to make the button easy to access without fumbling around, and also make it discreet so the dealership won't even know it's there. Installation was a breeze thanks to Evan Fusco's PDF instructions.

Having already installed the car computer 2 weeks ago, we concluded that the in-dash screen had plenty of room to run a switch in the covered, empty bottom half. It took less than an hour to get this done:
    [Broken External Image]:http://presto.homeftp.net:8080/presto/prius/EV_Button.jpg
    The switch we used was a reset button from an old desktop computer.

In case you haven't seen the car computer yet, here's a link to the car computer thread.

EV mode is very cool. I live on a hill so provided I have around 80% of the battery meter then I can make it onto the main road and down the hill, and I let the ICE warm up as soon as I start going down the hill. Acceleration in EV mode is decent too. It's about as fast as my old K-car for acceleration which is more than acceptable in moving from a stoplight. It's also nice to use EV to halt the ICE from starting right away if I want the car computer to boot up and queue up a playlist before I get moving.