1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Increase Your Chance of Avoiding Accidents

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by New_Yorker, May 5, 2010.

1. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For More Explanation and photos Go to the Photo Album Section.:)[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nice....

interesting....

somewhere in between....

this makes me wonder if blue reflective tape is even legal in california....

i've always wanted to make my car big rig style with all the small yellow lights...

3. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I chose the Blue to match the Hybrid and Toyota Emblems. The tape is manufactured by 3 M and it comes in many colors including black which reflects white, at night. I've never encoutered any problems and I've driven from Maine to Florida, Ohio, W.Virginia and Pennsylvania. It can be had in wider widths up to 4 inches. Check 3M Store.com.:)

4. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good idea and a big safety benefit i am sure, but i am not sure i like all those stickers on my car. I had hoped that the stickers were somehow invisible or transparent...but yeah, not really what i like to see on a car.

5. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The installation is simple with a little effort, the material is all removable and will not damage the paint, much like the adhesive used in the paint protection and headlight protection films. The design can be your own sense of artistry, and the colors are all highly reflective. The white is nearly invisible if you want the benefits without the appearance being noticed in daylight. The reason in the end is simple safety.

Now that our highways are filled with people engrossed in cell phone calls, text messaging, GPS Navigation systems, CD, MP-3 and even DVD players, you needto 'Grab' their attention. As if the simple act of Driving amidst the old people, inexperienced new drivers, obsessive aggressive drivers, and all the other inescapable threats on the highways were always easy. I feel I want every advantage. It begins by the moron who would crash into you, seeing you before he does. Reflectives are used for emergency vehicles for a reason.:)

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, "safety bling". It's legal everywhere; look at the generous
    lines of red and white "trailer tape" all over just about anything
    used in the trucking and road-service industry. Conspicuity, the
    magic word used by DOTs at the federal and state levels, is always
    good. Whether it's passive or active, we need to strive to be
    seen in plenty of time under all conditions.
    This is reminding me that I should add more tape, too...
    _H*

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reflective gaffers' tape?

8. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have time, can you take a pic during the day? I esp. would like to look at the white striping as I have a BP Prius as well.

9. Oakmont

Oakmont New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    man... all I have to say is ... why?

10. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Everytime some new gadget that can be dragged along in the car is invented, some idiot driver will cause an accident using it. Sorry, but I want all the odds I can get. The roads are filled with lousy drivers. Especially in Boston, as I'm sure you know. At least this material can be made to look good, unlike the 'Trailer Tape'.:rolleyes:

11. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

See Photo Album section, page 1. (14 photo's):D

12. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any sort of blue lighting is illegal in Michigan, unless it's on a police car. Whether blue reflectors would be considered blue lighting is anyone's guess.

Tom

14. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  15. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Then pick another color, but they use this material for ad signage so I doubt its illegal anywhere.:)

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the built-in reflectors simply are not enough on those dark and stormy nights here in the Pacific Northwet. Especially when the car is parked along a street with little or no street lighting.

This is one of the many little things my last Ford did right, and every car since has not. So I've added more, though not in the same patterns as OP.

One piece of tape I have that OP does not is a strip along the top of the hatch glass, on the inside molding (not visible from outside in daylight), intended to catch high beams of trailing cars. It vanishes for sharp cutoff low beams.

17. Prius42

Prius42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow. I quite like the blue pin stripes in the day shots on your photo album. Nicely done. Also, how did you get body colored mud guards? Did you paint them? If so, what paint did you use and how well does it stick?

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks real ghetto in the dark, not so much during the day.

But I'd get rid of the side moldings, they clash with the blue pin stripes and don't really protect against door dings unless you live in Priusland where people only drive Prius. And they don't protect you against accidents either

19. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

When you get the mud guards wipe them down with a paper towel wetted with turpentine, then dry them. Then spray a paint on called Fusion manufactured and sold by "KRYLON", it is made in many colors, and is designed specifically to adhere to plastic surfaces. It dries very fast, and you'll need to apply several coats before installing the mud guards. The paint adheres very well.

1 person likes this.
  20. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On my 2007 Prius the body side moldings did the job so well I carried touch up paint to touch them up because they got 'dinged' so many times. Fortunately the paint on the doors never did, so I disagree with your comment about them being ineffective. (To see my last Prius, a Black 2007 Touring Edition, go to page 11 in the Photo Album section)