1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Increased cargo question

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by blacklab, Apr 21, 2012.

1. blacklab

blacklab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All, I’m really thankful for the information we have gathered on this forum that lead us to the purchase of our new Prius V.

The V will accomplish 95% of our family’s daily cargo requirements without much contemplation. The biggest challenge we face with the V is finding a way to haul the gear during car camping trips. Metaphorically, when I run out of space in my backpack I strap things on the outside to bring the necessary items. That is my thought with the V. Since it is such a new car it would be great to learn what top cargo racks/containers you find work best with this car. I also would like to find the best solution for hauling bikes. I realize some bikes may fit inside the back of the car, but I’ve found the chain grease and road dirt ends up everywhere you don’t want it.

One of the Reps at our local Toyota Dealership said, (even through it’s not rated for towing) many standard Prius Owners pull small lightweight trailers behind their cars, as in the same type of small pull along a motorcycle could pull. I said "really"? He said, “All the time, couple hundred pounds no problem.â€

Thanks in advance for helping me flatten out the learning curve on these questions. If you’ve got photos all the better! I realize we can always rent a minivan for the yearly camping trip, but I’m determined to give it a college try with the V.

2. RCMerlin

RCMerlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a similar issue, the need to haul a little more that will fit inside (or something I'd rather not put inside). There is a Class 1 hitch that can be added to the Prius v which would allow for a bike carrier or a storage shelf, rated up to 200 lbs. It looks like it mounts to the frame (not the bumper) so it probably would not be a problem.

Personally, I probably wouldn't attempt a trailer with it.