1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Increasing the bulge!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SomervillePrius, Feb 23, 2006.

1. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok,

The more I see the Prius the more I like it. It reminds me of the early SAABs as well as the old Citroeen's (with air suspensions). I would like to modify the car to look even more like them (need to find links).

Another theme I like are the two "bulges" on the roof (do they really make a difference or are they just design. I would like them to stand out more both inside and out. Inside I would like the inside roof display the same bulge and outside I would like for people to notice them. I was thinking that maybe a fat white racing line from the hood over the roof (going inbetween the bulges) could look cool?

Comments? Other ideas?

I would like to see mods of the Prius that doesn't make it look like a souped-up Civic. I think the mods I've seen so far does that (unfortunatley). I would like to play up the limousine or coach aspect of the car instead.

2. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Saabs from the 1950's had 20 - 25 kW engines. How is that for some perspective ?

4. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, it's amazing the amount of HP we "need" nowadays!

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bulges are for aerodynamics

6. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah I figured as much... I was just hoping they would use it even more in the design language... It's a cool look i.m.o

7. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I think this would help acentuate the bulges, but instead of a stripe with the same width the whole way, make it skinnier in the middle, as if it were cut around the bulges. Visually, it should make the bulges look more prominant. I don't think I would use white, unless you have a black Prius. Use a color that compliments the Prius's exterior.

Or, you could do a color fade on the roof, so it changes color as it goes further up on the bulges. I'm not very fond of stripes, so I like this idea better.

8. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not a fan of stripes either. Though a neighbour have black stripes (A fat and a thin) running over the middle of hood to the back on his Volvo 240 Station wagon combined with racing numbers on the doors it looks suprisingly cool for an old volvo.

Color fading could be cool... Maybe chagning the color of rhe rood and fade the color... Not bad ideas...

9. idaten

idaten New Member

[attachmentid=2383]

Maybe you need one of these? It's a 56 Abarth Zagato. They sold originally for about 1K - long before my time, but it was a favorite of mine showing up at autocrosses. 1250 lbs, 47HP 750cc, or thereabouts. It wsa generally called the "Double Bubble".

rick

10. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That looks like a cool car and something the Prius could borrow from

11. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

The bulges in the top are to add strength to the roof. Like the doors, there is a ripple that helps the metal hold it's shape. Without it the roof would move as the wind goes over it.

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking the back end looks rather similar to my '68 VW Fastback.
    Sample picture:
    http://www.adclassix.com/ads/67vwfastback.htm

(let's see if I did the url link feature right)

nerfer

13. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you are handy with Photoshop or some other graphic design program, you can get an image of the Prius, convert it to a JPEG file and use Photoshop to do various paint schemes. I did this when I was considering adding art to my Prius. I did that to every car I've owned prior to my Prius, but haven't hit upon a paint scheme yet.
    Bob