1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Incremental changes to the Gen III from 2012 - 2015?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by breakfast, Apr 14, 2015.

1. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I care about those details! Especially changes to the Gen III between 2010 and 2015 (beyond the obvious changes for 2012).

For one thing, I would love to know of software changes to the engine mapping, or to the HSD. I'm having an easier time than expected finding engine sweet spots, and also areas that appear to allow the engine to spin with very little gas at highway speeds. I have come to realize that the most important thing for efficiency in a Prius is no different than on any other car - it's preserving momentum and how you *decelerate* that makes at least as great an effect on mileage as acceleration.

I must be doing something right: from earlier today:

[​IMG]
    (yes, this screen is new starting 2012. I also know to expect 5% less when I fill up and calculate by hand - that's something we *haven't* seen change :) )

I know they made changes to the front of the 2014 Prius Liftback - twice - to improve small offset crash results...

Source:
    Vehicle details

I also know that the 2015 Liftback Two gained a rear view camera for the first time, which appears to barely be publicized!

Any other incremental changes that you are aware of?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick Wong likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2015 rear view camera is characterized as an extra value option on the manufacturer's sticker, value of $350, included at no charge.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the free rear view camera, there really isn't much difference between the 2 and the 3 now.