1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Independent/Experienced Prius Mechanic needed on Long Island, NY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tmoose57, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Tmoose57

Tmoose57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yup, I'm a NEWBI. I am researching buying my first used Prius and kept finding the answers to my questions on this site. So, I signed up and am posting for the first time.
    I've narrowed down my choices to a 2010 or 2011 Prius ll/2, lll/3 or lV/4 Hatchback. Am looking for input from those who have been there/done that.
    1. I've read of suspension improvements made between model years 2010 and 2011.
    Are these changes (and any other improvements I haven't heard about yet) worth spending the extra bucks for 2011 model?
    2. If the mileage is roughly equivalent, are the two model years also equivalent?
    3. I've read, on this blog, that opinions differ between about going to a dealership or not to make the purchase. What are the reasons for this difference?
    4. If i do go to a dealership, is the "Certified" tag worth the extra money or just another bit of fluff?
    5. If I buy from a private seller, I assume that I should take the car to a Toyota dealership for a Pre-purchase inspection. If I buy from a dealership, where should I take the car for said inspection?
    6. Hence, the need for an Independent/Experienced Prius Mechanic. Anyone have any recommendations or referrals?
    7. My #1 reason for favoring the trims lll/3 and lV/4 is the Bluetooth/Audio options. Are these justifiable increases in cost or should I get a II/2 trim and look into aftermarket upgrades?

Thank You, Any and All for your help and sharing of knowledge.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I really can't recommend any because I never used a mechanic other than myself to perform basic maintenance ( oil, brakes)
    The only time that I was in need off was to do a 4 wheel tire alignment and it took me 5 trips to the f**ng tire repair shops to leave it as it was before. Can I recommend something like that?
    Probably by today days and after 16 years of Prii on the road, it would be some fine car mechanics. I will suggest a Toyota stealership for advanced troubleshooting and/or diagnostics.

4. onlyturbo

onlyturbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just bought a 2013 Prius two, I am also looking for a good honest Prius mechanic in Western Suffolk Long Island NY.

5. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They are high in demand and short in supply

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This has been discussed fairly often here and the consensus is:

A 10 year old hybrid, presumed to have fairly high mileage, probably is NOT a really good choice in a used car.

The first owner usually reaps most of the hybrid benefits.
    Subsequent owners end up with enough extra maintenance costs that the extra gas mileage is more than offset.

The simple fact that you have so MANY concerns should be ample evidence for an impartial observer.