1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Independent Garage vs Dealership

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know there has been a great deal of talk about the "stealerships." And, some of them deserve that title.

And, not all Non-dealer mechanics are exactly "Wally's Filling Station."

[​IMG]

But, considering in my area that dealers are charging the same labor rate as the independent places, the only place I see any savings (assuming all are honest operations) is through use of aftermarket parts at the non-dealer service garages.

At the dealer, I get a nice comfy ride to where I may need to go, after dropping off my rig. Or, I can relax in the waiting area, where I have my choice of various beverages and snacks, all "free."

At MY local garages, there may be a chair or two shoved into a corner, under a poster of Miss Multi-Mile or some other calendar, often several years out-of-date and any rides are grudgingly offered in the "shop truck," which seems to be held together with bailing wire and Bondo.

[​IMG]

I suppose my point, unless I am missing something, I am leaning toward dealer service, at least for any repair where I WANT Toyota parts used (traction battery comes to mind).

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think you're missing anything, you've just got some unusual circumstances. I'm accustomed to seeing indie labor rates at about 60% of the dealer rate.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree. if i could find a local dealer who wasn't already hardpressing me for service i don't need and is not recommended by toyota, i would gladly use their services.

my local mech isn't cheap, (90 bucks for an oil change) but he advises only what is necessary based on my limited knowledge, and was even willing to install tire rack tires when he couldn't get a better price.

he even thinks i should change my oil every two years

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Earth will be orbiting a cold, dead star before I willingly take a vehicle to a dealer for service......

TGrracie likes this.