1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Independent Service Center - Northern Virginia

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Raj Nadar, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Raj Nadar

Raj Nadar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Greetings,

I'm looking to find an independent service center to take care of the maintenance of my 2013 Prius from now on. I've been going to the dealer and although they do a good job, the fee is expensive and I'd like to have my car serviced for a more reasonable price.

I did a search for local dealers on the forum but didn't find anything useful...also most posts were from several years ago and the few locations I did see where not local.

If there is already a thread with this information, I'd appreciate a link...and I'd definitely appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Lastly, I did an online search and Fairfax Auto Repair came up...does anybody have any experience with them? There seem to be a lot of good reviews on their site but I'd like more opinions, if possible.

Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do they push a lot of extras, or are you fairly conversant in the Toyota specified maintenance, ensure they adhere to it? There are a few worthwhile extra services: Toyota does seem to ignore a few worthwhile service items.

But, I can see dealership service costs getting out of control, if it's a relatively pushy dealership, and you just say yes to everything they propose. A lot of the extras they tend to propose are tailored to maximize their profit, with minimum parts/labour, and often are totally surplus to requirement, or at best way to frequent. Fuel system cleaning is a prime example.

In short, just holding them to specified services, or switching to a dealership with a different attitude, might be all you need.

Consider also doing at least partial DIY (Do It Yourself).

And: does that $30 cabin filter REALLY need changing??

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We do not really have a special place to go in this area. Some of the folks out by Purcellville have mentioned a place.
    My dealer in Manassas (Miller) sometimes gets good marks...there may be a Costco discount...not sure.

PS- welcome to Prius chat

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raj Nadar

Raj Nadar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply. They normally don't push extras...which is why I have been with them for 5 years. Recently, I had to do the major maintenance (over 100k service) and with a couple of additional things I needed, the bill came in over $1K. I told myself there has to be a less expensive place that will do a good job.

Traditionally, dealers charge more and in this area, there have to be places with good quality service for less than the dealer charges.

I have gone the DIY route before, but where I live I can't do any maintenance and the few times I have found other places to do them, I have felt my time was better spent elsewhere...I'm not into working on cars as some others may be.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Raj Nadar

Raj Nadar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply.

I used to be a member of Costco and got tires there last time they needed to be changed. I didn't think about getting them to do service as well. Too bad I don't have the membership anymore or I'd have gotten in touch to see what they charge.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I mean is, I think some dealers have a Costco discount for service

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just passed a fellow Prius driver today on Interstate-70 with the following paint job (actually he passed me - and I don't go too slow):

PriusHybridRepair.com

Apparently out of Annapolis, MD and they do batt replacements within 300-mi radius, and a few other services. I have not heard any reports on them.

8. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure which dealers you've called, but I got a quote for some 100k maintenance from Leesburg and Miller in Manassas and Miller is probably a few hundred cheaper on what Leesburg is saying is $1000 worth of work. I just wish Manassas was more convenient for me.

I still might try and find an independent though. The idea that a front brake job is several hundred dollars (or $5-700!! at Leesburg) is a bit ridiculous in my book.