1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Indiana offers free anti-theft catalytic converter marking

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ChapmanF, Sep 29, 2022.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Indiana, it is free to have a car's catalytic converters marked with an engraved portion of the VIN and some high-temperature paint, in a bid to make the converters less suited for resale by thieves.

Per this article:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had my Gen 3 done this morning. It took only minutes and they didn't even have me get out of the car.

Because I knew the number of bulges (not all of them catalytic converters) might be confusing, I printed this out to hand them before they started. It is specific to Gen 3, but maybe we can prepare versions for other generations too. The guy who went down in the pit originally didn't take it down there with him, and then he asked for it before he got started, so apparently it was useful. ;)

catsnotcats.jpg

I have not slithered under my car yet to get a look at what they actually did.

#2 ChapmanF, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    tianmaire and Merkey like this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They finally got me... After all the Prius I've swapped out the original before people could steal it... After all the people I put cat shields on for, I never got around to doing it for my daily driver and when I pulled out of my driveway late afternoon for the first time yesterday I had that distinctive sound of sadness...

What's more my neighborhood is super quiet and I sleep less than 30 feet from my vehicle. In looking at the cut marks it appears they used a handheld pipe cutter on both ends as the cuts were very clean and straight and no saw blade marks. Always thought the noise of the theft would be too much of a risk for them in my driveway. Guess they found a work-around?

I was looking for a handheld pipe cutter online to try to figure out their tool and only found them for small diameter pipe, so I suspect they modified a larger size one to make it as small as possible. :-( And didn't sleep well last night because my project Prius that's only 15 feet from where I sleep still has it's original cat. :-(

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The cobbler's children have no shoes ....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm sorry to hear that.

You're under 30? If not, you must've not done a lot of exhaust stuff when younger.
    Amazon Search: exhaust pipe cutter

Back in the days when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, and there weren't battery-operated tools, and a sawsall wasn't a common tool, we used exhaust pipe cutter, hacksaws, or a cutting torch.

Some examples:
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mulcort-Exhaust-Cutter-Cutting-Repairing/dp/B0B9H82VSF/
    Mulcort Exhaust Pipe Cutter Water Pipe Exhaust Pipe Quick Cutter Cutting Tool for Auto Repairing
    Brand: Mulcort
    $26.99
    Suitable for cutting thin wall tubing up to 3mm thick.
    Perfect for cutting where space is restricted, 120° handle movement produces a 360° cutting.
    Perfect for cutting all exhaust pipes from 35-64mm diameter.
    Zinc plated carbon steel frame with 4 hardened steel cutting blades.
    With spring in the middle, use less effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-940538-Inch-Diameter-Tail/dp/B00OCEGU6S/r
    Powerbuilt Tail Pipe Cutter, Cut Exhaust Pipe, Car Vehicle Specialty Tool, 6 Inches in Diameter - 940538
    $42.95
    6" diameter tail pipe cutDesigned with 12 Hardened steel Cutters for quick cutting action on exhaust pipes
    Tool solutions for most all situations
    Cuts pipe from 3-1/2 to 6 inches in diameter
    12 hardened steel cutters for quick cutting action
    PVC handle cover adds comfort and reduces slippage
    [code]

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually I'm 54 and worked in an auto shop in High School in the 80's and ran a van conversion shop in the early 90's... The link you shared would not cut an exhaust pipe in a confined space in front of the cat, but maybe a chance in the back pipe where a it joins with resonator. What I'm thinking they used is similar to the type of mini pipe cutter you use for small diameter copper pipes. This cutter fits in palm of your hand, and you could build a custom one that's large enough if you knew what your were doing, but they don't sell anything I can find that's smaller than what you linked to do larger diameter pipe, which you would need to make a cut way up where cat connects to exhaust manifold.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exhaust Tail Pipe Cutter

I was thinking something like a chain cutting tool, but then I don't have much experience with catnapping.

I'm wondering how much of a problem catnapping is in my beloved home state of Indiana considering they were (are?) the state with the second highest number of CCP holders, and many of my fellow Hoosiers do not share my beliefs that property crimes do not justify drawing a loaded firearm in anger.

Well.....'maybe' a warning shot or two....:whistle:

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Much enough, apparently, for Indiana Senate bill 167 to have made it a state felony in 2021. The bill isn't written with a lot of "whereas"es that you'd expect to tell you about the scope of the problem, so that might have to be found in the debate transcripts.

And much enough, apparently, for Indiana US Rep Jim Baird to have introduced the US House bill that requires VIN stamping of new converters, and provides grants to support marking of old ones, which I suspect is where the money may have come from for my free adventure this morning.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Down in the southern part of the state they would just install a test pipe, spoof the CEL light and get on with life. :p

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    sorry - but many jurisdictions no longer teach history .... so a 1500's parable may have no meaning.
    a rephrase would say, "the surfboard shop owners' kids can't swim"
    ;)

#10 hill, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haven't checked here, but we might be allowed to teach history as long as we say the cobblers' children always had the best shoes, and give no cobbler any occasion for self-reflection.

There are still cobblers in my town, a couple that I know of. I've had shoes fixed both places.

One of them was also able to repair the case for a vintage Megger that I found, and build a new handle for a 40-some-year-old micro-ohmmeter.

I guess a surf-shop owner could have made a nice handle out of laminated wood....

#11 ChapmanF, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They might, but that still understates what a PITA the crime is, which you normally discover when you go out to your vehicle needing to go somewhere. At least with the test pipe you're not waiting weeks for a back-ordered cat, but unless everyone in your family has their own lift and a test pipe lying around, there's still a bunch of disruption involved when these good-for-nuthins hit you.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah that cutter is kind of bogus for confined space. One that I used to use at Disney wasn't the most confined. It's ratcheting - up to 2¾"
    IMG_20220930_095842.jpg
    because they're even slimmer designed than this modernly.
    Got to give kudos to skum bag criminals keeping up with what's higher Tech.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A friend found her Volvo one day with a tool something like that stuck on the exhaust.

It was stuck well enough to be hard for the exhaust shop to remove, even with the car on a lift.

PriusCamper likes this.
  15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That cutter would work well if there was a way to cut the handle off and you had really strong hands and an oversize knob to make it easier to tighten down the cutting blade after each turn.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yesterday I did. It looks like they got the spray paint on both cats (and some on the EHRS, for good measure), but only engraved the second cat. (The first one is pretty hard to reach from down there, at least without taking some covers off.)

17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Turns out I was overthinking it... Today I pulled cat from my project Prius and installed it on daily driver w/cat shield (2.5 hours total because floor jack car work sucks) and after looking at the pipes they cut through, it's clear they used a saw not a pipe cutter. Thinking only logical explanation for neighbor's dog that barks at everything and neighbor's sleeping less than 40 feet away and me sleeping less than 30 feet away was something quiet. But after looking at both pipe ends cut marks I've concluded that the only plausible explanation for none of us waking up to this massive noise is unconscious self-preservation. As in a couple of drug addicts desperate for their next fix is not something worth messing with.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe they used a saw on yours because they got their pipe cutter stuck in somebody's Volvo.

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Adding this photo to police report, which probably is irrelevant. There's so many thefts these days they tell you to fill out an online form and don't follow up with a phone call like they say they do. Looks like they used a brand new yellow saw blade for big one up front and a used red saw blade for cut in the back.

PXL_20221002_185001029.jpg

bwilson4web likes this.