1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Indiana Prius Club

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by kettledrum, Jun 10, 2007.

1. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wondering if there is any interest???

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tell you what, Kettle. My advice is that you skip the whole "is anyone interested?" part and go straight to starting the group. At first it might be you. At some get-togethers, it might be you and three other people. In time you will have more people and more interest. You'll send community notifications to the Indy Star and put up a website with information and photos.

All I'm saying is that sometimes it's a good idea to gather support before jumping into something. Other times you just grab the reins and start running.

3. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 10 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]459144[/snapback]</div>
    What should I do first? Is there a tutorial? :)

I've got business cards now and am going to pass them out to unsuspecting priites.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I"m currently reading "Forming Car Clubs for Dummies." When I'm finished with it I'll send it down. :)

There is no tutorial, just a lot of work. I read somewhere someone said, "nothing worthwhile ever occurred overnight." With that said, be prepared to send a lot of emails and PMs. Be ready to send public event notices to the newspapers only to have them not printed. Be happy when "only" four other people show up at your get-together.

Know in your heart that your intentions are good and noble. Keep in mind that you are waging war on waste and pollution. When you remind yourself why you're spending your time doing this, you will never lose your enthusiasm. When people tell you, "I bought this car because of you" you will never want to stop.

Good luck!

5. DukesTCH

DukesTCH Junior Member

I would say go for it. It couild be priuses and camry hybrids. We could have some advantages in that 3 plants that are or will be making hybrids will be within 3.5 hours of anyone in state. Shared facility in Lafayette; the Ky plant and possible Princeton. I'm game.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    kettledrum I asked the same question on an Insight forum (I own an Insight) and got very little response. I think Tony is right, the best way to get the ball rolling is to jump in and ether form a group or set a date and promote a gathering in the area.

I would be willing to help promote such an event, even a gathering for a picnic one Sunday afternoon would be a great way to break the ice and get people interested.

Dave

7. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds great. There are tons of people in Indy that would show up.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I will start the ball rolling here. I have seen posts on other forums like this one from guys in the Indiana area that have interest in a "gathering" and or meeting to discuss forming a club.

I would be willing to promote or help promote a "Hybrid gathering" for fun and see where it goes. I live in Anderson (just 20 miles northeast of Indy) and could put something together here. I can put some flyers together and make them available for people to pass around and maybe put up a simple web page for everyone to see. I could also get in touch with some of the local media in an effort to get the word out.

I propose this.
    Having it in Anderson (knowing the area and people here, it might be easier for me to find a location).
    Having it some time middle-late September. Maybe a sunday afternoon.

Any of these can be adjusted.

I need atleast a small show of support to continue on. If anyone has any input, ideas or would like to help please post here or get ahold of me.

You can reach me at [email protected]. trying to keep the spamers out of my regular email.

Thanks
    Dave

9. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Eek!

I haven't been watching this thread, obviously! Shoot!

I had a nice telephne conversation with Bradlee Fons, founder of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group almost 2 months ago (soon after I first posted this) and he gave me a lot of ideas on what to do and how to go about doing it. So much so it was honestly a bit overwhelming and I hadn't taken off on the idea yet.

But, there's never any time better than the present!

SuperDave, it sounds like you and I need to talk.

I will send you an email soon....maybe today if I find the time.

Kettledrum

10. wineman3067

wineman3067 New Member

I'd like to come to an Indy Prius club. Will you be posting details here?

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have had a few guys contact me and It appears that maybe a Saturday/evening might be best for everyone. I am looking at a number of locations here in Anderson, and possibly the middle of Sept. I will post everything as soon as I have things sorted out.

I would like for this to be an all hybrid event, everyone is welcome. A "Hybrid Cruise In". Depending on location it would be cool to have a cook out or picnic as well.

After talking with one individual we could possibly have a "plug in" Prius in attendance.

Kettledrum get ahold of me for sure.

Wineman I will post any updates.

Once again if anyone has any questions, suggestions, comments please post them or contact me.

Dave

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry double post.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A quick update. We (Kettledrum and myself) are looking at Saturday Sept the 15th, possibly noon until 5-6?. We have not completely decided on location just yet, but we are looking into locations here in Anderson and also maybe Fishers (northeast side of Indy).

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have decided to have the Gathering, Get together or "Hybrid Criuse In", whatever you want to call it here in Anderson on Saturday Sept. 15th from 1pm to roughly 6pm. The link has directions and a liitle more information.

Our intent is to have a place for guys in the area to meet and a talk about, learn and promote Hybrids. For the people that want to start a club this will be a good starting place.

On the web page I have scheduled a "MPG Challenge" if there is enough interest. If you would like to participate, please contact Paul or me. Post here, PM, email or call. let us know.

http://leadingedgerccars.com/HCI.html

If anyone has any questions, suggestions etc. Feel free to contact us.

Dave

15. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperDave @ Sep 1 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]505403[/snapback]</div>
    Count my husband and I in....Hope it's a place for gals too!! We won't have our 2008 Prius until the next weekend after the September 15 gathering. Hope that's not a problem. We hope to learn a lot.

Got your directions..do we need to bring any food?

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Hoosier @ Sep 5 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]507624[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely everyone is welcome. I'm sure there will be other Prius owners that will be helpfull with any questions that you may have.

The park is a small neighborhood park that is easy to find. It is only 6 miles off I69. If you or anyone should need any help finding it just call my cell number on the web page and flyer. Speaking of the flyer, I have a printable version with the directions for anyone that wants one just email me and I will send it to you. I have a few of them printed that I have been passing out and leaving on parked Hybrids in the area to try to increase the interest.

If you would like to bring food or snacks that would be up to you. I am planning on bringing a cooler with some drinks.

17. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Hoosier @ Sep 5 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]507624[/snapback]</div>
    I echo the sentiments that absolutely anyone is welcome. The more the merrier. I think we all can learn a lot from each other and this should be a fun event!

Need to cross post this on some other sites. The time is getting short though....only another week!

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This event is set for tomorrow. Stop by and meet other Hybrid owners and relax a while. Hope to see many of you there.

Dave

19. mseebode

mseebode New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperDave @ Sep 14 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]512598[/snapback]</div>
    How did the Indiana Prius Club get-together go? I don't have my Prius yet, but it should be in soon. I live in the Cincinnati area, so I'm not too far from the Indiana border. I got lost in Indiana once and would look forward to getting lost there again someday soon. Count me in for future events!

Monica

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Monica We had a total of 8 people show up. I think this was great for a fist time event. Everyone showed a good interest in putting a clud together in the area.

I think Pual is organizing a group "block heater" install in the Indianapolis area sometime next month and we may include a get together as well. I am sure that when everything is confirmed one of us will post something. Maybe you will have you car by then, if not that's cool too. Blue Hoosier and her husband made it to this last meet and they had not gotten their's yet.

I would like to thank everyone that was able to attend and it was nice meeting you. Hope to see everyone back at any future events.

Dave