1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Indicated vs actual mileage

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by Bigleftyinaz, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Bigleftyinaz

Bigleftyinaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really getting confused on how this works

on 8/23,the OBC showed me an all time high of 55.1,but the actual came out to 52.8.

on 9/12 I matched my all time high 55.1,but the actual mileage came out lower 51.9.

Today 9/20 I achieved a new OBC high of 55.4 ,but the actual mileage is 51.3.

on 9/15 The OBC gave me 53.1 which is common for me with the same Actual mileage as my newest all time high that I got today OBC 55.4,with low actual 51.3

I'm confused on what is going on ????

I fully understand the actual is always lower then the OBC indicated. How Do I get an all time high via the OBC but the actual is lower then the actual of my previous all time high ???

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first of all, filling one tank and doing the math is inaccurate because it is impossible to replace the exact amount of gas you started with. the computer is tracking actual gas used. all you can do is average several tanks together to get a better understanding of your actual mpg's. the reason for your high/low mismatch is that the tank took more gas than previous fills.

3. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What? It is very simple to accurately calculate your mpg.

1. Fill the tank, set the odometer to zero.

2. drive until empty.

3. fill the tank again.

# miles driven since zeroing the odometer / what the pump says you put in = your exact mileage.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    use each tank and MPG reading as a guideline, but the only way to really tell how you are doing is track every drop of gas, every mile driven, and average it out. i have HUGE variances from tank to tank but its the average that counts.

sometimes its easy to understand the variances, sometimes it is not. problem in my case is that each tank takes 10-15 days which means a lot of varying driving situations to consider