1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Indicator Light for Theft Deterrent System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by orr4hoos, Jul 7, 2005.

1. orr4hoos

orr4hoos New Member

I purchased a 2005 Prius about 10 days ago. Tonight, when I got home from work and turned the power off, I noticed an indicator light flashing (it turns out to be the theft deterrent/hybrid immobilizer light). I do not have the smart key system. The light stayed flashing after I exited the car and locked the doors with the remote.

I don't recall this light flashing when I left the car prior to today. The owner's manual (which I think is not very good) says to see the dealer if the indicator light stays on except when the theft deterrent system is setting or activating.

Does this mean that it should not be on all the time? Do I have a problem here or have I just missed this indicator light until today?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Todd

2. exces6

exces6 New Member

If this is the light that looks like a Prius with a key in the middle of it, then it is normal. I didn't notice it until well after I bought my Prius.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I remember correctly the light will stay on after you lock it and will start flashing within 30 seconds. If it's flashing, it means it's armed.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

5. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Speaking of not noticing it, my opinion is that it is not a good theft deterrent if the potential thief cannot see it, either. I wish it were more obvious!

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Goody. Thanks for confirming Dan.

7. kieth

kieth New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Jul 8 2005, 11:47 AM) [snapback]105458[/snapback]</div>
    Our 2005 Prius did not flash the theft deterrent light up until recently. It would make sense that the deterrent light would flash when the system was armed. It makes no sense for the deterrent light to flash when the doors are not locked and the system is presumeable disabled.

I do not want my TD to be operative when my car is in my own garage. Why would toyota make it necessary to set the TD when it is not needed or wanted? I submit that it is a malfunction and the manual...obscure though it is...seems to support that view

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.. it does double duty - immobiliser AND alarm (if equipped). It'll flash the moment you stop the car even if you're inside and the doors are unlocked. This means the immobiliser is armed (which makes sense since the car is off)