1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Induction system service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Whatsthat, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Whatsthat

Whatsthat New Member

at 30,000 miles

My dealer wants me to pay 99.95 for the induction system service and 59.95 for front end alignment or I will not be eligible for my "lifetime" tires......

Ironic, they will not give me new tires until I do the service.

Do I need this or should I buy my own tires and upgrade to a better tire?

Thanks.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    induction service: no way. the most they should do is a throttle plate cleaning and ONLY if required (required when you get error codes indicating such problem)

alignment: good idea. better idea to do every 12k or so, but that's up to you.

3. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know much about the service, but was told by a Toyota technician that if and when I am offered an induction service I should decline. She told me the service is unnecessary for the Prius and is just a money maker for the dealership.

4. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whatsthat @ Oct 26 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]339012[/snapback]</div>
    What are "lifetime" tires??

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whatsthat @ Oct 26 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]339012[/snapback]</div>
    Another scam from a Toyota service dept. with regards of 30k service, see the other THREAD

6. Whatsthat

Whatsthat New Member

Lifetime tires = free tires for life..... el-cheep-oh

Thanks for all the input I did do a search on Induction and could not find a thread.....

I thought it was a scam, just wanted to be sure. Again, thanks.

Greg

7. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems like there's no limit to the various ways some unscrupulous dealers try to fleece owners these days. :angry:

8. moneytrain8

moneytrain8 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 26 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]339019[/snapback]</div>
    I went to get my 5k oil change at Jones Junction in Bel Air, MD last week. They came in during the change and told me that my throttle plate needed to be cleaned, and that it was something like $90 (maybe a few dollars cheaper).

I'm at 37k miles and about 17 months of ownership. Is this something I need, or is the dealer just trying to get a few extra bucks?

I have noticed that my MPG has absolutely PLUMMETED the last three months. It coincides with my new tires (Yokohama Avid H4), but it has really gone through the floor. I averaged below 40 mpg my last tank. NEVER been close to that low before.

But I am doubtful that this throttle plate has anything to do with it...

Thanks.

9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is how these dealers that offer lifetime tires get you. By making you buy unecessary service. You don't get something for nuthing!!!

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Y'all make me grateful for my dealer's Service Department. They have NEVER attempted to add unneeded service items to my routine maintenance work orders. To assure a better level of communication with them, I always provide a written request for the specific items I want done - "by the numbers." My list simply parrots the 'Scheduled Maintenance Guide' book item for item. On my 2004 Prius [traded for a 2007 in November], I took 3½ quarts of Mobil-1 5W30 oil in [to prevent overfilling], used their filter and had the tires rotated with no negative results or arguements from the service writer. My 2007 has not yet required routine service. I did have it re-aligned to correct a drift to the left. They provided the service under Warranty and provided a printout of the before and after alignments numbers.

If you live in the Dallas TX area and want a Service Department recommendation, PM me and I'll suggest my dealer and provide the Assistant Service Manager's contact information.

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moneytrain8 @ Feb 6 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]386131[/snapback]</div>
    It seems pretty unlikely to me that the car would need throttle plate cleaning at 37K, especially since 37K on the Prius engine is probably like 22K on a regular car... But that's easy for me to say over the internet. I cleaned my last car's intake at 60K intervals, and it never seemed that dirty from what I could tell. I've not attempted it on a Prius, but the Volvo it was sort of pain to get the hoses off of the big air intake pipe to remove it to get to the the body and plate, but cleaning it was not that involved, or Auto Pep Zone wouldn't be selling all those cans of throttle body cleaner. I'd keep the $90 if it was me.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I generally take my Toyotas to Putnam Toyota in Burlingame, CA, and they're usually pretty good about not adding additional services to the bill...

...except for the 'induction service.' They have consistently offered this to me every time I took my RAV4 since it was new in 1996, and I've consistently declined.

I just took Buzz in for service last week --- her first --- and I have the prepaid maintenance. It may not be the best deal out there, but it's *great* because it's mindless (on my part) and Putnam's service department doesn't seem interested in offering me unnecessary extra services!

They changed the oil -- didn't overfill -- and rotated the tires. They also reduced the pressures to 35-33; the traction control doesn't seem as inclined to intrude. I'm sure I probably paid too much for this service, but there's something to be said for the experience, too, and this one really was about as trouble-free as I've ever experienced.

13. moneytrain8

moneytrain8 New Member

Interestingly (or maybe not), I have been taking my Prius to them every 5k miles for oil changes (they sold me a $9.99 oil change card for $130. Nice enough deal, I guess), and each time I ask them to set the tires to 40psi in the front and 38psi in the rear.

This last trip was the FIRST time they've ever questioned that. It was a new service writer, and she gave me a spiel about uneven wear on the tires. I said I had never been questioned about this before, and she called a tech over who kept spouting off about uneven tread wear, and 40psi being too much for the tires, and how 35/33 was what was recommended, etc.

I got irritated and said told them forget about it, I'll just do it myself after I leave there. I must have sounded irritated, because they became really contrite and said they would do "whatever" I wanted. The old service writer I dealt with never said a word, just wrote it down on the work order and said OK.

I never thought about them overfilling the oil... Is that a major problem? Is there a way to make sure of that without bringing my own oil? That seems a little defeatist. :)

Thanks.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you don't have a check engine light, you don't really need a throttle plate cleaning.

15. shannon73160

shannon73160 New Member

What is "induction system service"? It was recommended to me today by the dealership for 139.95 and I had (have?) no idea what it even is.

16. eko

eko New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find it highly unlikely one would need this at 5000k, at some point in time maybe.

Utilizing specialized tools, one of our skilled technicians will immeadiately:

Clean fuel injectors.
    Clean throttle body.
    Clean plenum and air intake system.
    Remove combustion chamber deposits.

Our BG Fuel/Air Induction Service will:

[​IMG]Improve driveabilty .
    [​IMG]Alleviate surge, hesitation, hard starting.
    [​IMG]Reduce emissions.
    [​IMG]Restore horsepower .
    [​IMG]Clean fuel injectors.

Recommended service interval:
    15,000 miles

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All of the regular service a Prius needs is printed in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Anything else is boat payments for the dealer. Have the Scheduled Maintenance Guide with you when you arrange the service. Show the service writer the X miles/Y months page. Tell them to do those items and nothing else. Of course if the tech finds something broken that needs to be fixed, that's another matter.

18. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    mrbigh,

What specific thread were you trying to send us to with your see "the other THREAD" link? It links you to the PriusCchat home pg of current topics/haedlines & then you can see there are 278 more pages. Can you be more specific in your link address next time? Maybe the post or thread you were trying to link us with is not on the front home pg any more(depend'g on how old it is) & is buried somewhere deep within those 278 pages.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

19. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Induction service? The air intake system on a car normally doesn't get really dirty until about 100k miles where you then have to mostly clean out the EGR ports or replace the EGR valve, and that's it.

I had to clean the EGR ports on my minivan twice sofar and the car has 210k miles on it, nothing else required on the "induction" side.
    I haven't even cleaned the injectors yet after such high milage... even tho I should in the near future. :cool:

Thomas

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Remembering that an "Atkinson cycle" engine will hold the intake valves open for part of the compression cycle, causing some of the intake charge of air to be forced back out into the induction system plumbing, it's reasonable to assume it -may eventually- need cleaning. Lift off the air filter and look inside to see how dirty it is. If it is just discoloured it's probably ok. If you see "stuff" flaking off, it probably needs cleaning. As posted by Galaxee if it's really causing a problem you will get a dash light.

How they clean the induction system is they connect an aggressive solvent bottle to the fuel line in the engine compartment, and run the engine burning it. They also spray a cleaner into the throttle body. Lots of smoke is spewed out the exhaust. Entertaining. Usually unnecessary, but entertaining just the same, and good for the service departments bottom line.