1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inexpensive Key/Fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priustim, Apr 5, 2018.

1. priustim

priustim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I remember a long time ago, I was reading about a really inexpensive alternative to having a keyfob (doesn't matter SKS or non-SKS) where one can cut the physical key and then flip it around, insert it into the slot, and power on the car. I can't for the life of me find where to purchase this key anymore. Hoping someone has better memory than I have and can point me in the correct direction. Thanks in advance.

SFO likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think it was just a key for gen 1 Prius: Spare Key Options | PriusChat

Lots of different keys would actually work as all it needs is the same type of immobilizer chip. But you should find one that can be cut to match the door look so you can get in as well.

But remember that this key can’t be used to program in new keys. So you should still have two key fobs in case you lost one.

#2 valde3, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have such a key, but it's hardly a standard item.

Gen2 keyfobs have a transponder chip in them as well as a circuit board. The transponder chip is the same design as is used in chip keys used in earlier designs.

What I did was get a Toyota chip key (Gen1 key will do), carefully open the head and remove the chip. Then replace the chip with one extracted from a Gen2 keyfob.

The end result is a key that can open the door with the mechanical blade. Inserting the key head first into the keyslot unlocks the ignition. Once you press the Power button, the key can be removed from the keyslot (it doesn't lock in like a real keyfob). When you turn the car off, you have to release the keyslot locking mechanism (sticking your finger in works fine).

I keep the modified key inside the car for use if I lose the real keyfob. Even if a thief found it, they wouldn't have a clue how to use it to start the car.

4. priustim

priustim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi RobH, that's the exact thing I am looking to find! There was someone on the forum that was creating these keys for gen2 (and 3 [?]) and selling them back in the day. Based on how difficult it is to find that thread again, I'm assuming they are no longer doing this anymore. :( Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I remember a locksmith who figured out how to get the proper transponder without having to take it out of a keyfob. So the price would be something like $35 or so. He sold the keys on eBay. I've certainly lost track of him but you might find an eBay listing if you have the time.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Same type of immobilizer chip is already installed in some keys. So all it takes is to know what keys have the correct type of immobilizer chip and then just program that chip to the car and cut the key part to match the door lock.

RobH you just couldn’t program in the gen1 key with chicken dance method? I would have thought the immobilizer chips in gen2 and gen1 key would be the same.

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The proper locksmith equipment could identify the transponder used, or maybe there is some reference document that already has that data. Not having that equipment, I just tried a Gen1 key. Didn't work. But the transponder inside the keyfob looks exactly like the one inside the Gen1 key.