1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Infinity Speakers for Base Stereo = 2 Thumbs Up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bsd43, Jun 14, 2006.

1. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks in advance to everyone who posted about their speaker upgrade experiences, especially Sparky.

Parts Installed:
    2 pairs Infinity Kappa 63.7i 3-way Speakers, $226 total including shipping from eBay
    1 pair Infinity Kappa 10.7t Tweeters, $70 from Etronics.com
    1 set of Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit, $50 from Etronics.com
    Installer: Best Buy, $170 total

Quick review:
    What a transformation! The sound isn't just highs and lows with muffled or no mids and heavy distortion. It's now a full range sound, from highs to mids to lows. Crank it up and the new Infinitys stay tight.

The Dynamat helped lower road noise quite a bit on good pavement, but still not enough to counter California's concrete freeway drone.

I almost bought the Kenwood flat subwoofer, but I think I made the right decision to not buy it. There's enough bass to go around for my tastes.

Bottom line: The stock amp is surprisingly good -- it was the speakers that suck!

2. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsd43 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]271009[/snapback]</div>
    The title of the thread refers to the "base" stereo, not the JBL 6 disc, right? Would the tweeters you used work for the JBL? I'm dying to do the tweeters, but don't know which ones I should get.

Thanks,

DGStan

3. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ Jun 14 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]271178[/snapback]</div>
    Correct, this was for the "Base" Stereo (and I fixed it in the title), but the same speaker set works for the JBL system. It probably works even better, since there's no impedance mismatch (2 ohm ideal on the JBL vs. 4 ohm ideal on the base), not that there's a huge problem with a mismatch anyway.

The installer noted that the Prius's tweeter "clip" works on the Infinity tweeter without any modification.