1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Influence of speed, temperature, and weight on MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Indyking, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK folks, I tried to insert the data chart in the post as opposed to an attachment but had no success.

Anyway, the chart attached (open in a second window) is MPG data collected after ten 365-mile-long trips. Some important info about the trips and chart:

-These are one-way trips in the Midwest, fairly flat, under different conditions inbound versus outbound; therefore, it did not make any sense to combine them in 5 round trips.
    -The gasoline used was always 87 octane (Shell or Speedway).
    -This is just a preliminary data; I plan to do a more complete analysis after collecting 100 trips in one year! (Yes I drive a lot!).
    -TEMP was the temperature observed by the Prius thermometer during the majority of the drive. In cases where there was a significant change in the temperature from departure to arriving, I just used a calculated mean temp.
    - MPH was calculated my Garmin (more precise than the Prius MPH gauge). Average speed varied from 55 to 67.7 MPH, but most often above 65 MPH. I got unprecedented traffic in my first trip which caused the MPH of 55. I usually cruise at 70 – 80 MPH using cruise control.
    - The letters L, M, and H by the MPG line means light, moderate, and heavy weight, estimated to be <300 (L), 300-500 (M), and >500 (H) pounds including my weight.
    Numbers in the x (horizontal) axis refers to 10 different trips, hereinafter labeled as T1, T2, etc, for simplification.
    - The texts above the X axis (above the trip numbers) indicate when the heater was used and when there was significant rain and respective time percentages. 70F 100% means the heater was on all the time set at 70F. L Rain 60% means light rain during 60% of the trip.

Conclusions:

The obvious: FE in the Prius is really similar to a category 5 hurricane, like someone pointed out elsewhere in this chat. Everything must be perfect for maximum performance. The combination of higher average speeds (MPH), higher weight, and lower temperatures cause a very significant drop.

Surprise: The data from Trips 2-4 (T2-T4) suggested that temperature itself caused a MPG drop regardless of the speed and this can be aggravated by weight. I thought this was a surprise because these are essentially 99.9% HWY-only trips, therefore, engine warm-up has little impact. Just the cold air by itself results in a hit.

TEMP, TEMP, TEMP...: T4-T5 reinforces my point above, i.e. just the increase in temp itself was sufficient to improve the MPG despite of the increased weight and higher speed (MPH). Look at T8-T9 now. Despite of the lower speed (same weight), there was a drop on the MPG caused by lower temperatures, so folks I'm convinced that temperature is the major factor considering the speed range I drove so far. Note that, during colder air temperatures (T2, T3, T4, T8, and T9), the heater was often turned on for at least 50% of the time. I believe, the heater may have contributed to the MPG drops seen at those trips as it drags heat (energy) from the engine. T3 was poisoned for low MPG: Lowest temp recorded, heavy cargo weight, heater on and rain...

Unknown: Look at T5-T6. What does explain the steady MPG between the two trips in the presence of higher speed and lower temp? It should have a pretty significant drop on my T6 MPG but it didn’t. I doubt the lighter weight compensated the higher speed and lower temp, so, I looked at my records for those 2 trips and the only thing I changed was driving in NORMAL mode instead of ECO. Right between T5 and T6 I changed from ECO to NORMAL and I'm still keeping it in normal. Could that be a factor? I doubt it too… so not sure how to explain it… maybe wind and humidity? I did not record those 2 parameters…

Attached Files:

• MPG.jpg
      MPG.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
  2. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting,
    I've seen a drop from 62 to 55 average and haven't been able to find a cause for it. I wonder why temp has such an effect? There is increased drag from denser air, but surely that's very minor.
    BTW, it's not very cold here either, we haven't seen a day below freezing yet.

3. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'm literally 5 blocks from the HWY in each end, so I really think engine warm-up is not impacting my MPG a lot. I think Bob Wilson posted some data in the past (may have been in the gen 2 forum) showing that the colder the temperatures the lower the MPG because of increased air drag, or something similar.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what's going to happen to my MPG when I start doing those trips under freezing. Most of my way stays under freezing for most of the winter.

Nov has been so far warmer than Oct. Fall and Spring in the Midwest are perfect to test the influence of temperature on MPG because the temp oscillate a lot as you can see in the chart.

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While I don't have any measurements (per se), the idea that cooler air increases air drag would match up with my observations.

When commuting home, there is a long downhill that I will....errrmmm....occasionally put my car into neutral and coast. In the summer (late in the day, very warm) the car can get upwards of 80 mph and I will coast it down to 55 mph. There is a landmark that I target to see how far I coasted and what speed I am going as I pass the landmark. On cooler days, I do not get as much speed going down the hill, and when I pass the landmark, my speed is slower than on warmer days. I've done this enough that I've discounted wind variations.

Very interesting table. I liked looking at the one part where you essentially got the same MPG three times (once with a medium load, twice with low loads), such that you could see the impact that temperature played (that a higher temperature could compensate for the extra weight in the car). I wonder if you blocked your engine on one of the trips (but not to the point of overheating it) if you would see a jump up in MPG's. Likely you would.....

5. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Yes, I thought about grill blocking to see the impact but I don't have a device to monitor the temperature, like the scangauge. So, with these hwy-only trips, it could be dangerous if engine temperature is not monitored. Besides, I'm not sure how much a grill block would help. The block helps warming up the engine faster but it does not interfere with air drag, does it? I'm not sure...

6. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just found similar temperature effects when we went from 40's to 70's late last week. I didn't record the data as you did, but my average during the 40's was ~55 (2 normal trips), and it jumped up to (same tank) ~57.5 over 2 additional normal round trips. Interpolation by way of "calibrated elbow" suggests about a 5 mpg difference just due to the temperature change.

7. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to see what my MPG hit is going to be once the winter starts... Some of those trips will be bellow freezing all the time and potentially in the negative territory :eek:

8. Jim05

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not looking forward to it either. Time to get to work on a temp-controlled grille block.

9. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree there seems to be a drop in mileage with temp, but surely the slight increase in air density can't account for much of it. Has to be other things.
    I have the scan gauge and now in 60 deg OAT temps, it just doesn't seem to get above 180 engine water temp or so, but that's not highway driving.
    Scan gauge and blend mount is about a 10 min. install, neat and about $200.
    I don't have repeatable, regular trips like you do or I would gather data with grill blocking.

10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about some kind of cowl flap? Manually operated mechanism, not automatic, but effective.
    On aircraft the strategy is to block the air from exiting, not entering the engine compartment.
    I wonder if a full, insulated belly pan would be the way to go.

11. Jim05

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting thought about exit-blocking, but I'm not sure it would keep the air off the radiator... I'll have to run that by someone smarter in thermodynamics than me. I agree with the manual v. automatic, but have been trying to avoid having to run a scantool if possible. The biggest challenge to an automatic circuit is failure recognition and fail-safing to open. The challenge to the manual approach is having to monitor the scantool while driving in rush hour traffic (most likely place to fail due to slow speeds).

12. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the instinct of a layman.

Seems like exit blocking is like being forced to drive with a bowl on the front of your car with the opening of the bowl in front. Sure the exit is blocked completely. But air still get into the bowl, swirl around, and come out wasting energy. And if the block is not 100%, doesn't the bowl resemble a parachute, a device to slow down the car.

Now, wouldn't it be more effect to turn the bowl around and have the opening the the bowl facing the rear? Wouldn't that be more like input blocking.

That's my layman's gut feeling about the thing. I am sure somebody can explain why my gut feeling is right or wrong.

13. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think by blocking the exit you essentially form a high pressure area in the "bowl" and if you have blocked off the exit, there would be no airflow and therefore no drag.
    Blocking the exit may have the additional advantage of insulating the engine compartment, but is probably not desirable to block all airflow, because you want the inverter cooled as much as possible, I think.
    Your "layman" way of thinking is usually correct, but some things in aerodynamics aren't intuitive. A Mazda Miata "looks" slick, drag wise, but I think it has a relatively high CD for example. Intuitively a tear drop shape you would think would be the ultimate in low drag, but the Kammback comes close, even if it looks like it wouldn't.
    Bottom line, I think "brain storming" about blocking the bottom of the engine is interesting, it's probably not realistic and grill blocking may give you 95% of the benefits with 95% less work.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Indy,
    Just curious how you set you cabin temperature during these trips? Do you keep that constant or is that a variable?

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A blocked exit builds up pressure in front of the bowl, reducing the drag. Allowing air to pass through will increase drag, unless the flow path is smooth like a tube.

Tom

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    denser air can't account for it. What about the cold on the tires, that could have a much bigger effect.

I'm in austin, and it doesn't get cold here for very long. I'm wondering what our hot summers will do to mileage.

17. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spiderman, I'm adding the heater data to the original post. Unless it is very cold inside the cabin, I don't usually turn the heater on, I just close the vents to avoid the cold air to come in. I tolerate cold a lot better than heat, although, during the winter, the heater will be on most of the time because my trips are from IN to WI and it can get quite cold along the way.

18. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should also have mentioned that my tire pressure was fairly uniform for all trips, 46/44 psi. Also, just once, I had significant rain; it was light but 70% of the time. That was in T3 (the trip with the lowest MPG overall), but that trip was poised for lower MPG because of the lowest temperatures among the 10 trips and heavy cargo weigh, and, of course, plus the rain…

I'm leaving for another trip today...

PS. Hey Austin, I lived in College Station - TX for 6 years... yes, I'm an Aggie! Do you know what I wish when I was there? I wish Texas A&M was in Austin, not in College Station... :D:D:D

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Colder temperatures increase the rolling resistance of the tires, increase the friction in the bearings, and suck heat from the engine and catalytic converter. Cabin heat further exacerbates the heat loss from the engine.

As mentioned above, there is some increase in aerodynamic drag from the denser air.

Tom

20. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not realize the heater can "steal" signifcant amounts of engine heat and result in a MPG drop! I'm adding the heat data to the original post...