1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Info about Airbags

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bookrats, Mar 18, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

My partner, who is about 5' tall, had some concerns about the possibility of being injured if an airbag deploys when she's a passenger. Both of us haven't bought a new car in decades ('87 Civic Hatchback for me, '86 Toyota Tercel for her); and with my imminent plans to purchase (OK, "get in line for") a Prius, the issue came up.

Anyway, I compiled a list of summary articles off the Internet, which answered any questions we had and allayed our worries about the danger of airbags. I thought I'd post them here, in case someone considering a Prius (or someone who already owned one) had questions or worries about airbag safety.
    • of the "dual-stage" airbag system that the Prius uses.
    • Two good FAQs about airbag safety, one from WomanMotorist.com, and the other (with a lot of links to statistics) at the Highway Loss Data Institute.
    • Comprehensive (9 page) document detailing history/controversy/statistics about
      airbags and airbag safety at Cars.com (great site, affiliated with the NPR Car Talk guys).
    • And speaking of Car Talk, Tom & Ray weigh in on airbags. (The "less powerful" airbags that Tom mentions are the "dual-stage" airbags the Prius has.)
      • Hope this helps...