1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Info and Pictures from Airventure 2007 - Oshkosh, Wi.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by crypter, Jul 30, 2007.

1. crypter

crypter New Member

Hello all,

Last week I had the opportunity to travel to Oshkosh, Wi. for Airventure 2007, a week-long air expo for pilots. Since I have read here that a lot of Prius drivers also fly, I thought I would share some pictures and my observations for those interested.

Unfortunately I didn't fly PIC to Oshkosh, rather I let United do the work. As much as I enjoy flying, being cooped up in a Piper Archer for 8+ hours a day for a couple of days just doesn't appeal like it did when I was in my 20's. Perhaps next year and a faster plane (Lancair IV-P?) will change my mind - we'll see. Lots of people fly there and then camp next to their plane...definite possibilities for adventure.

This expo was a blast! I've had my license for 19 years now and have always wanted to go - finally this year everything fell into place and I made the pilgrimage. To anyone who hasn't gone yet, it's worth it - big time. There are so many planes to see, workshops, forums on anything and everything aviation, vendors with every aircraft product you can think of, and many you can't. Lots of information to be had there - I attended forums on Aerospace vehicles, roadable aircraft, purchasing an airpark home, Aircraft insurance and tax strategies, and homebuilding, just to name a few. There was an airshow every day, in addition to a warbird air race and flybys of just about every military jet out there.

I also visited the EAA museum - Dick Rutan was there and gave a talk about the future of commercial space travel, including some interesting info about Spaceship 1 and other related endeavors. Very entertaining as well as informative. Plus all the exhibits, including a full size mockup of SS1, as well as just about every other aircraft since (and including) the Wright Flyer.

On a different note, I also had the opportunity to try some dancing at the Crystal Ballroom in St John while I was there. Unfortunately there were no Argentine Tango Milongas that I could find (I'm a big Tango addict), but I still had fun stretching my ballroom, latin and swing legs with lots of great ladies there.

Of course there were some downsides - the food courts at Airventure gouge you, the weather was unpredictable (we had some thunder storms, hail and rain at various times, quite different from sunny central-Cali). I think the worst was the unfortunate mishap where two Mustangs collided on final approach - one pilot lost his life. This happened Friday - I wasn't there that day due to other engagements I had, but several of my friends there told me about it, and it was on all the news stations that evening.

I stayed in Green Bay while I was there (July 22-28), during which time I rented a new 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo (5K miles on the odo). This car was actually one of my last choices to drive, but there was nothing else available (I guess I am spoiled from driving a Prius for the past year...). After one week with this car I am even more convinced that my Prius was the best car purchase I've ever made. After being told that it should get about 30-35 MPG, I'd say 20-25 (measured) was more like it, and I drove it conservatively like my Prius. At freeway speeds it made a whine that I suspect came from the tires - the faster I went, the higher the pitch and vice-versa...very annoying. Just before my first excursion to Oshkosh Monday I tried to put some papers into the pocket on the back of the passeneger's seat -- and the back of the seat FELL OFF. It is held in place with some metal clips that apparently don't clip very well - the shoddy quality of how this is assembled is amazing. Perhaps I should count myself lucky that the car didn't spontaneously combust while it was in my posession.

Well, apart from the car and other noted caveats, my first Airventure adventure was great!

Now for the pictures:
    [attachmentid=10274]
    Homebuilt parking
    [attachmentid=10275]
    Kit Mustangs...
    [attachmentid=10276]
    and the real thing!
    [attachmentid=10277]
    What a BEAUTY!
    [attachmentid=10278]
    Lockheed P-38 Lightning...Sweet!
    [attachmentid=10279]
    I almost would have rather driven this...
    [attachmentid=10280]
    L-39 Albatross, an "affordable" jet fighter
    [attachmentid=10281]
    The T-28, with its own particular style and beauty
    [attachmentid=10282]
    B-25 (I don't think they looked this shiny when they were new)
    [attachmentid=10283]
    F4U Corsair - another favorite!
    [attachmentid=10284]
    An F-16, among many other fighters on display
    [attachmentid=10285]
    A replica of Spaceship One, with Dick Rutan in the lower right giving one of his talks
    [attachmentid=10286]
    One of the few BD-5J kit jets that are currently flying
    [attachmentid=10287]
    A whole section of Lancairs
    [attachmentid=10288]
    And finally, a Corsair in the air race...

Attached Files:

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crypter crypter @ Jul 30 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]487811[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhhhh. you mean the "Ramp Flea" parking area don't you? Geeez I wish I could afford and get my medical to fly one of those. :( :D Always wanted to goto Oshkosh, went to Sun N' Fun in Flordia in 94 that was sweet. Saw a KC-135 tanker drag it's boom on the runway during a low altitude pass. Did they have any Storch Kits there? Between the RV and the Storch it's a toss up which would be my favorite. I think the only one I could probably fly (Sport Pilot Cert.) is the Storch I just don't think you can make a RV fly that slow.

Wildkow

3. crypter

crypter New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jul 30 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]487850[/snapback]</div>

Hi Wildkow,

I'm not reallly familiar with the Storch aircraft, but after googling the name I think I can say with some certainty that there were some Storch-like kits in the ultralight/LSA area. Not sure if I got any on film but I'll look after I come back from a business trip I'm taking tomorrow. There was so much to see and do - I didn't get to view every plane (but I tried!). In my case, I hold 4 FAA ratings (and just renewed my medical) so I am interested in something a bit faster than an LSA or the Pipers I currently fly - and am tending toward a Lancair at this point. One of my reasons for going to Airventure was to get more info about them and other similar planes.

I've never been to Sun N' Fun, but I bet it is also a great event for pilots (at least from what I've heard).

CC B)

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    uh oh. DH is going to HATE you for this thread when he sees it... we had to drive through oshkosh about 4 times during eaa, could see some of the planes up in appleton too, and he was so mad that we didn't have time to go. he really wanted to see space ship 1 too.

did you see the guy who landed on hwy 41? that was on all the news stations too. really cool video but must have been pretty nerve wracking.