1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Info on Photocatalytic side mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by superPrius05, Nov 27, 2005.

1. superPrius05

superPrius05 Junior Member

Just got our Prius 2 days ago and realize we miss having tinted outside mirrors at night (boy, is that glare bad). SigmaAutomotive sells Photocatalytic Mirrors that look like they're want we want - has anybody out there purchase/installed them? We're also thinking of buying the mirror housings with the signals built-in. I know that several folks have added this mod - with the 2 mods work together? If we don't get any responses, we'll probably buy them and post our results.

This is the link:
    http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/actmir/actmir.php

Thanks for any feedback!

2. DHonzik

DHonzik Junior Member

According to the above link, the min order is 100 pairs......I would be interested in a group buy if we could get 100 owners interested. I would get the one with the curvature mirrors for $69/pr.

3. notsure

notsure New Member

once I have a car I would be interested, had the auto dimming mirrors on my escalade, sure were nice to have

4. superPrius05

Apparently you can order just one pair. Maybe 100 pairs would allow for a special pricing discount. I just ordered a pair of the wide-angle photocatalytic mirrors for $125. Also got side body mouldings and side marker lights. After we get the mirrors on, I'll let you know what I think. Edward (from SigmaAutomotive) assured me that I'd like these much better then the stock mirrors.

5. c4

c4 Active Member

I trick I happened upon in a previous vehicle was to put a piece of the lightest tint film available, or better yet, a partially mirrored tint film on the mirror.. This is basically unnoticable during the day, and at night cuts down the glare dramatically, but does not greatly affect night-time visibility.. On a rear view mirror, this is IMO a better and cheaper solution than an expensive electronic mirror.

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

..."and mirror can be cleaned with water instead of detergent during maintenance"

It's not clear whether they are indicating that the mirrors should not be cleaned with soap.
    Someone should check.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I think what it is saying is that the mirrors don't need to be cleaned with detergent to get tehm clean, that regular water will clean them enough. Just my guess.

8. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I'd like to confirm that soap/detergent will not damage them.

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Remember, you would then loose the "heated" mirror feature. Here in the Midwest where snow and ice is an issue, the loss of a heated mirror would be a negative. However, if this mirror was heated I would be more than just interested.

Just my opinion

Cheers

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You will LOSE the heated mirror feature. The mirrors should not be any more LOOSE than normal.

Nate

11. superPrius05

Yes - we will lose the heated functionality. I suppose that may suck for the 2 days a year that we get snow down here in Charlotte, NC :) I've already ordered the mirrors and will post my experience with them as soon as they arrive. Either we'll love them or they'll be posted on Ebay! :)

12. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I second that, I brought mine to a high-pressure car wash (manual, not auto) and even though I folded my Photocatalytic Mirrors inward & refrained from spraying towards them as best as I could, water+soap still got to them. No damage at all. But never ever use glass cleaners on them, never scrub them when they are dry either.

If I see any particulate dust/matters accumulate on mine, I will use a small squirt bottle to spray water onto them, then let them air-dry. But I park my Prius outdoor 24/7 so the sun really charges up the titanium dioxide layer well (aka its self-cleaning ability is optimum). I then finish the job by wiping them *gently* with a micro-fiber cloth.