1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Info on Prius Inverter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by moshe_levy, Aug 15, 2007.

1. moshe_levy

moshe_levy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All-

Just ordered my 2008 today and was getting curious about the Prius' DC-AC inverter. My company (Nova Electric) designs and manufactures ruggdized inverters for US military applications (mostly running off of the 28 VDC from Hummer alternators) and naturally I am interested in any information that exists about the Prius' inverter. If anyone can share who makes it and what its specs are, I would appreciate it. Just for curiousity's sake, as it would be interesting to compare what my new Prius has under its hood with what I make on my production floor. Thanks.

-MKL '08 Prius Touring Package 6 (Grey, of course)

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Moshe,

The Toyota publication "The Prius that Shook the World", has details of the inverter developement. Specifically that it was an in-house developement, using SiC, and that they developed an on-chip temperature sensor to be sure to protect the inverter in over-temp situations.

Hobbit has some pictures on PC here that show the internals of a mechanically beat-up inverter. Do a search on Hobbit and Inverter.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter thread is absolutely amazing; the innards of the inverter are a work of art.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moshe_levy @ Aug 15 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]496452[/snapback]</div>
    Now if your company can make an inverter to run off the Prius Hybrid battery and put out 1.5-2KW of pure sine wave for emergency use, I'm in line.

Wayne

7. moshe_levy

moshe_levy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 15 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]496618[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne-

Pardon my ignornace as a Prius newbie (only started resraching the car itself a few days ago) but what is the nominal DC voltage of the Prius' hybrid battery?

-MKL

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the '04-'08 it's 201 volts nominal.

Wayne

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moshe_levy @ Aug 16 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]496826[/snapback]</div>
    Moshe,

You also need to limit the battery current to below 100 amps. Blowing the internal Prius fuse is not a good thing. You can read about one owners approach here:

http://www.priups.com/

Jeffd

10. moshe_levy

moshe_levy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Aug 16 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]496854[/snapback]</div>
    Very interesting. We make inverters in this range, but they are heavy industrial (120 VDC nominal for utility companies and 240 VDC nominal for steel mills, either of which can be modified for 200 VDC nominal) and likely too expensive to consider for consumer use. Here's an example of what the inverters look like http://www.novaelectric.com/dc_ac_inverter...a_invert120.php They are low frequency transformer isolated topology, so they are quite heavy and large (unlike the lower voltage high frequency inverters consumers use for say, 12 VDC or 24 VDC nominal applications). A typical 2-3 KW unit will likely hover around $5,500 for a small quantity order.

I would imagine the average Prius owner is definitely not interested in such a thing, but it's so interesting as a Prius newbie to see all the technological adaptation that Prius owners out there are up to!

-MKL

11. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Aug 16 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]496854[/snapback]</div>
    I thought that fuse was between the HV battery and the 12v system. If you are drawing your power directly from the HV battery, I didn't think that fuse came into play.

On the other hand, you probably don't want to draw as much as 100 amps continuously from the HV battery anyhow. The battery would likely heat up and it's lifespan would end up considerably shortened.