1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inner Fender Well loose, now ABS, slip indicator, and brake system warning lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SRood, Feb 25, 2018.

1. SRood

SRood New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

On a drive home, the flimsy inner fender well tore loose. Now the ABS, slip indicator, and brake system warning lights are on, and stayed on. There was one connector in the wheel well that got lose, but reconnecting it did not result in the lights going off. I also noticed that the cruise control was not working with those lights staying on. We drove the remaining 30 miles home with not problem, no issues with braking or the car behaving differently. So I'm hoping it's just a wire or connector that got disconnected or affected when the inner fender came off.

Any ideas what kind of mechanical work fixing this involves? Can this be done by my regular mechanic, or is this a toyota dealer that has to fix this?
    Including photos of the fendor and wheel well.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd take something like that straight to dealership, but maybe someone like @Elektroingenieur will contribute DIY ideas.

Sorry for clucking, but this is really a time a stitch would have saved nine: you've gotta maintain those plastic bits, replace missing fasteners and so on.

No clue as to your location: was snow packing the wheel well?

Elektroingenieur and SRood like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

In looking at your picture, it look like other slicing happened to the harness:(.

Can you confirm the integrity of what is there or if there is any damage? How many miles? Did you run over anything or hit something to cause the fender lining to let loose?

Keep us posted (y).

5. SRood

SRood New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you Mendel! Yes, I'm used to driving trucks without flimsy plastic panels! We have to drive on rather bumpy roads out here, so one that rattles these things loose. I'm planning to take it to a dealer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. SRood

SRood New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Ray, thanks for the warm welcome. I don't see any other slicing. The corrugated hose you see in that picture is just cracked probably from the dry and hot desert weather we have here. We have about 139K miles on this vehicle, but we bought it at 93K miles.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The damage there with the wiring protector isn’t normal. I’d root around a bit and see if everything is all clear and nothing has been severed;).

Do you have access to a code reader or know someone with one that might be able to help?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Except warranty or recall work, I don’t know of anything on a Toyota vehicle that can only be done at a dealer. As I’ve written before, independent shops should be able to get what they need, though some may choose not to buy special tools they are unlikely to use often. That’s not a consideration for this problem, though.
    The connector in the photo is probably A15 Front Speed Sensor LH. Since the warning lights stayed on after it was reconnected, some other part of the sensor wiring, or the sensor itself, may have been damaged.
    If the brake warning lights are on, there should be one or more stored diagnostic trouble codes to indicate the problem. You can read these using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or by connecting pins on the DLC3 (OBD II) connector, as @ChapmanF kindly explained in a previous thread, and watching the codes blink out.

The Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com and also on the ChiltonLibrary service, to which your local public library sponsors access from home if you have a library card) has the details, under Brake: Brake Control/Dynamic Control Systems: Electronically Controlled Brake System: Test Mode Procedure.

Replacement of the speed sensor and front fender liner is also covered in the Repair Manual, under Brake: Brake Control/Dynamic Control Systems: Front Speed Sensor. The fender liner is held in place with 12 clips, 3 grommets, and 4 screws. If the body wasn’t otherwise damaged, and if you can raise and support the vehicle safely (e.g., with jack stands), it could be a do-it-yourself repair once you have the needed parts.

Parts catalog references: Figure 53-02, Hood & Front Fender; Figure 84-14, ABS & VSC

SRood and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree it must have taken out a wheel speed sensor. It it isn't a wiring problem it could have pulled the sensor bracket far enough away from the tone ring or whatever it is called at the wheel. The sensors don't like big gaps.

SRood likes this.
  10. SRood

SRood New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up Elektroingenieur, much appreciated!

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  11. SRood

SRood New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Padroo, good to know and I'll check it out..

12. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to disconnect the 12 volt battery to clear the codes and see it that does the trick.

SRood, mygel and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. SRood

SRood New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi William, disconnected the battery and waited for 10+ minutes before reconnecting, still the lights on. I'll find out from my mechanic today what they think it is. Thanks for the idea!

14. SRood

SRood New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I spoke too soon. As soon as I drove off to the mechanic and work, the lights disappeared. So it apparently took a second start and perhaps driving to clear the lights. I guess I'm scott free :) The lights have not come on since.

15. Jafar G

Jafar G New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even though it's been good 5 years since this thread, I'm going through the same problem right now. After working on it half a day trying resetting/checking for other sign of damages, nothing helped and I just put everything back and harnessed it properly and went for a ride around the block but no luck. Hoping my commute tomorrow will clear it.

16. Jafar G

Jafar G New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aaaand it's gone! I just discovered this community. What a great work!