1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Innovative LED Display, prevents Road Rage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by siliconhybrid, Apr 18, 2007.

1. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was thinking the other day to have some LED display with adjustable message to communicate to the driver behind you. It would be nice if the LED can display:
    "THANK YOU" if the car behind you gives you way
    "SORRY" if you had to cut him off
    or even "BACK OFF!!" if he's tailgaiting you.

This is specially nice to have for Prius whom often being tailgated or just because ppl don't like Prius in general :)

I found some Linky
    Anyone has this? what's your experience? (install, cost, effectiveness)

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seems to me that it would increase road rage.

3. Squint

Squint New Member

I'd like one that connects to my ScanGauge.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 18 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]425487[/snapback]</div>

That would be my vote as well. People who get raged at regularly will make use of it, instead of fixing the problem between the seat and the steering wheel.

My friend told me about this lady she saw cutting people off, but she would hold up a sign that apologizes or something to that effect. My opinion is that if someone made the effort to make signs like that, it must mean they really suck at driving because they were beeped at so many times in the past.

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had been thinking about getting something similar but the one I saw at thinkgeek.com only showed emoticons. I decided against it because I was worried that someone might interpret a smiley face as "ha ha I got in front of you" instead of "thanks for letting me merge in front of you"

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8e9a/

I was also concerned because the thinkgeek site said "May not be legal in all states". I was too lazy to do the research to find out where I could use it.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like Gallagher's (the comedian) idea: Give drivers dart guns with suction tipped darts that say "Stupid" on little flags, then all the police have to do is drive around until they see some car with four or five darts on it and arrest the driver for being an idiot. :)

Tom

7. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Really? with the exception of "BACK OFF" I honestly think this would help reduce road rage.
    I am a good driver, but sometimes you just do cut off other car or ask for a way to get to his lane.
    I mean how many times do you have to signal "thank you" or "please" with your hand?

but it's probably just me.

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think that LED display would be great if we could also put in our current mpg's as we drive along.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. I think this might increase road rage.. esp. if the sign says "ENGINE OFF" or "4.3L/100km - 50 MPG"

10. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 19 2007, 12:24 AM) [snapback]425817[/snapback]</div>
    I think I would like to do this on my backroad commutes to work where the people behind are wondering why I'm coasting at the speed limit... :lol:

11. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I was driving in Ireland a few years back, there was a car on the road in front of me that had a cardboard sign reading "Sorry, we are French" in its back window.

I thought it was very funny; my friend took a picture, but you can't really read the sign...

12. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Apr 19 2007, 05:15 AM) [snapback]425926[/snapback]</div>
    I bet it would have the same problems as e-mail when people don't know your tone. If you flash a Thankyou! They won't know if you are being sincere or sarcastic, so the results could be real random.

13. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(siliconhybrid @ Apr 18 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]425483[/snapback]</div>
    I think many would be reprogrammed to say another form of the phrase "BACK OFF". Clue: it still ends with the word "OFF". That just might increase the level of road rage a wee bit...

Rick
    #4 2006

14. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To get people to back off, why not add a low powered BB gun that is calibrated to shoot BBs out one car length per 10 MHP as the proper following distance based on the speedometer. It could be activated when someone tailgates, and they think your tires are throwing up gravel and they back off to protect their paint.

15. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 2 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]434540[/snapback]</div>
    Brilliant! I like it :D

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But then, how easy would it be to put one in the front to display "A$$&0%^" when you're cut off by someone else?

17. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You'd have to program it to display backwards so it's readable in their rear-view mirror if you mount it facing forward.

I'm sure we've all wished we could express our sincere emotions to other drivers at times, and if you think for a moment about the kind of emotions you want to express most of the time while driving, you probably realize this would only make matters worse on the roads.

Even a sincere "Thank You" would piss me off sometimes, because most of the times that I get the "Thank you" wave from other drivers, it's because they cut me off and didn't give me a choice about letting them in, or because they've pulled so far into traffic while waiting to make a turn that you can only either run into them or let them go.

And an exterior-facing real-time MPG display is a bad idea too. Imagine exposing non-Prius-drivers to the numbers that get newbie Prius drivers so concerned about their MPG. Every SUV driver that sees "9 mpg" when you're accelerating from a stop on an uphill slope would feel superior because they don't realize they're getting a third of that in the same conditions. Even a tank-total MPG display would be misleading in most cases.

18. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, all is fine and dandy...........a bit sarcastically said, UNTIL you get the hackers that will modify their signs to show profanity. like $%^&*&^ you a$$hole, blah blah blah.....

that would add a bit of fuel to the fire.