1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insert DVD Navigation Disk

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, Jul 23, 2009.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This morning, after parking for a few minutes to grab breakfast, upon returning to my car, when I went to 'Ready" mode, the Nav system complained briefly that no DVD disk was installed. For a second, I panicked, thinking someone may have broken in.

As I started to look for the signs of forced entry that I felt I must have missed, the system started to load the DVD, and after a minute or so, did complete that load, and seemed to run fine after that.

The odd thing is that I did not touch the DVD Navigation system. I was just starting that car, which was parked about 5 minutes. Prior to that, I was listening to XM when I pulled in, and did not touch the system at all when I arrived (parking or when returning).

While it seems to have worked fine after that, it deleted the 'cookie crumb trail' that I was displaying on my map, and I could not locate that to turn it back on.

Has anyone seen this before, in a 2010? In an older Gen2? Is this indicative of a larger potential issue? How do I get the 'cookie crumb trail' back?

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I once ejected the NAV DVD by accident from holding down the eject button for too long.

As for the "cookie crumb trail," do you mean route trace? Maps > Show on Map > Route Trace.

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's it... Thanks. I could not remember this morning. I understand if I was touching the Eject button, then it would have made sense.

Instead, all I did was turn off the car and leave. When I returned, I simply sat down, and pressed 'Start'. Instead of the usual logo showing up on the NAV screen, I got the 'no DVD found' message, or whatever it said. A minute later, it loaded, and then ran fine. (but I never touched the Audio System at all! Odd.

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This morning, for the third time now (in two months), as I started the car, the NA screen says, "Please Insert Navigation DVD". The odd thing is that I have yet to eject the DVD disk, and have not done so once since owning the car!

Has anyone had to wait for the Disk to load on it's own, without having ejected the DVD? When it does this, it also deletes many of the settings that I have on the NAV, such as defaulting to allow Toll Roads, and leaving the 'Cookie Crumb' trail on the map.

Do I have something to worry about here? Anyone else getting the message for no apparent reason? Each time it has happened has been when starting the car, and each time that this has happened, it resolved itself within a minute or two. This is beginning to worry me.

5. anniea

anniea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Two days ago, this happened to me as well--I had to wait a minute while it told me the DVD was loading. As with you, it happened randomly when I started car.

1 person likes this.
  6. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would suspect a dirty DVD. Eject it and look for smudges on the bottom. Wipe it with your cotton shirt anyway and pop it back in.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If this persists, keep a log of when it happens and take the car in - may be eligable for a head unit swap if the DVD isn't defective.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the first time I am hearing this problem on a gen 3. Eric, pop out the nav disk and make sure there isn't some type of dust on it. If it continues to happen, bring it in to one of the local dealers and have them make a note of it on toyota's system.

1 person likes this.
  9. mccats

mccats New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never had a problem. Had the system on our old 2007 Camry also.

I would pop it out and see if the installer got a hair or lint on the disk or it looks like there is a scratch on it or dirty.

If that doesn't work, I'd call the dealer and see if they could swap out the disk with another car or order you a replacement.

10. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I just got my Prius about 10 days ago and am loving it. Had a Charger RT before, go figure.

I am having this problem with my Nav unit. Did your go away or did you have it fixed?

Thanks

11. Hfxbouy

Hfxbouy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just had the same problem with mine. Never had it out before.
    Took it iut and claened it seems fine but will log it here so I can go back if it happens again. Maybe dust is getting in somehow?
    I do load CDs often as son borrows can and brings his music!

12. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't load CD's often and it has happen on 3 mornings now. Thing I will have to take to Toyo, but should log first since it is intermitant and may not be happening when I take it in. I have even tried to eject the disk when it is happening and it just says there is not disk in there.....weird.

13. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I was at my dealership this week (it's over an hour away), and I met with the "Master Service Manager". He opened a case for me, and is going to contact Toyota and get back to me. He stated that something similar has occurred from time to time, and in the past what was needed was a new disk (which he stated would be provided if this is the determination), and a system reset. He claimed that this has fixed several over the years, and in one stubborn case, and new NAVI system was installed, again under warranty.

So, the short answer is No, it's not fixed yet, but I am confident it will be resolved in short order.

14. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had my NavDVD out 3 times to look at things on the disc label, but no problems.

Handle ONLY by edges and the center hole.
    Do NOT touch the surface (as is often done in the movies).

Poor reading is often a dirty read lens (if not a dirty disc).

15. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Re: Insert DVD Navigation Disk -- me too

The same thing happened to me when I started up the car this morning. I got the message to load the Nav DVD. I couldn't change to any other screen display and couldn't figure out what to do. I pressed the CD Eject button but that just opens the changer -- I didn't know how to eject it because there was no screen asking me to eject. I seemed to remember that you change the DVD by going through the INFO screen, but that wouldn't come on. I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't have time to look anything up. I held down the INFO button for a while and eventually the system rebooted itself and all was well.

16. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To eject the NavDVD, hold down the Eject button for about 5 seconds, I think.

Or, more normally, Info button, then the on-screen Maps, and on-screen Eject.

17. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This happened to me two more times. The first time, it decided to reboot itself after a few seconds so I thought I could live with that. Maybe I don't have to do anything and it will reboot.

This morning, however, the message came on and stayed there. Nothing I pressed seemed to get it to reboot. The screen display did not change. I didn't have time to fiddle with it. I tried holding down the eject button but nothing happened except that it just lifts the screen and exposes the slots. I continued to hold, nothing happens. If I stop holding the eject button, and then touch it again, it just closes the screen. The message is still there. I think the 5-second rule is when you are actually ejecting CDs (after selecting to do so from the screen), if you hold down the eject button it will eject the CDs including the nav.

This is really annoying.

18. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has it been resolved?

19. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I could be crazy here....but the problem had gone away and is back the last couple of mornings....since it turned chillier again!

Am I nuts or could this be related to temperature? Anyone in the colder areas have this problem?

20. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not yet. I am bringing into the dealership within the next week or so (I have also just passed the 15k mark, so time for an Oil change).

They told me that all they would be doing the first time I have this issue looked at, is to remove it, make note of some serial information, and run a diagnostic. After that, they will get more information from Toyota, and hope to help me with this.

It has happened one more time now, and each time for me, it has resolved itself, but once. That time, I needed to turn the car off and back on, at which time, it reloaded slowly, but did reload.

I'll update here once I see them.