1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inserting Multiple CD's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm almost afraid to ask this question, but you guys seem like a friendly bunch! :D And I haven't seen this discussed in any other thread (I searched)... or in the owner's manual.

Can I insert additional CD's while the first CD is playing? Does this cause the first CD to stop playing while the additional CD's are inserted? Must I insert all the CD's I want to play before starting play?

Thanks! - Marvin

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Can I insert additional CD's while the first CD is playing?"

Nope. Hitting the LOAD button opens up the next available slot so you can insert a disc. The currently-playing CD is stopped while this actin takes place.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I listen to a lot of audio books on CD. Trust me, you can not load or eject while listening to a CD. As soon as you press either button, the CD player is switched off and you get the radio.

4. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Jul 26 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]485862[/snapback]</div>
    Don't ever be afraid to ask a question - we are here to learn from each other.

I know that multi-disk players have been in use for a number of years. It has been my experience that they will quit performing well without any apparent provocation. So I would load all of the CD's you want to listen to before you start playing any of them and I wouldn't try to load another CD while one is playing. Multi CD changers are wonderful for listening to hours of music without reloading. They just aren't particularly robust.

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As KTPhil and TonyPSchaefer said, it will stop playback when you hit the eject button. However, one nice thing to note is that if you hold the EJECT or LOAD button for a couple seconds, it will remain in that mode and allow you to load or eject a series of discs consecutively.

In fact, many of the buttons in the Prius have an alternate function by holding it for a second...

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No Way!! Seriously?
    Oh man, I am constantly loading 4, 5, 6 CDs at a time. And then, of course, I have to eject them.

Wow, you really do learn something new every day.
    Thanks, Sarge!

7. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jul 26 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]485927[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 27 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]486036[/snapback]</div>
    I second Tony's thanks, Sarge! Like Tony, I listen to a lot of audiobooks and am constantly loading a bunch of CDs at once and I never knew this.

Thanks again!!

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    *Duplicate Post*

9. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 27 2007, 07:34 AM) [snapback]486036[/snapback]</div>
    Psssst. Tony, this is in the owner's manual. How did you miss it?

10. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, you'd think I'd learn to RTFM by now.

I've read enough here at PC to realize that the typical Toyota salesperson doesn't know a lot of the details about hte Prius and that they aren't exactly a reliable source of info. So in most cases checked up on any advice I got from my salesguy.

However, I didn't really think of the stereo as being a Prius stereo. The salesguy made a very specific point of telling me that I couldn't load multiple CD's at once. I had to push the load button once and then load one CD and repeat the process for each CD. He even went so far as to demonstrate it for me. I took him at his word on this one and believed that I couldn't feed multiple CD's in without pushing the LOAD button between each CD. He mentioned the same thing for eject.

You learn something new every day. Thanks Sarge.

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jul 27 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]486095[/snapback]</div>
    No problem, guys. B) Though I can't take all the credit, I remember reading that in a post in a thread quite a while ago... though I can't remember who said it.

I have read the manual cover to cover and I don't remember reading it in there, though it is quite thick and may very well be... :huh:

12. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This was one of the first things I remember after reading the manual. In fact, I went out to the car and tested it immediately to make sure! :)

13. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jul 26 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]485917[/snapback]</div>
    RE: the above qoute: OK, if the first CD is stopped when inserting a second CD, when the first one begins playing again, does it start from the beginning or does it resume from where it left off? ;) I'm assuming it starts from the beginning.

Thanks again! What a GREAT board! ANY questions can be answered here! - Marvin

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Jul 27 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]486122[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, what will happen when you insert the second CD is that the second CD will start playing (from the beginning, naturally). You have to switch back to the first CD to listen to it.

15. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jul 26 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]485927[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, there are three sets of press & hold buttons I regularly use.
    • EJECT and LOAD
      as already noted above
    • next and previous track buttons on the steering wheel
      when pressed and held will go to next and previous disc
    • RAND on the Audio display
      when pressed and held puts player in disc random mode, selecting tracks across all the discs, with D.RAND instead of RAND shown on the display