1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

inside car heater for improved mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Flying White Dutchman, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    set the heater to max cold
    and use a 12volt inside car heater
    you wil have a warm inside of the car and the engine only runs at uptimum for recharging the HV battery

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't think so.

Heat from car:

Engine --> heat --> cabin

Heat from 12 volt

Engine -1-> motor-generator -2-> battery -3-> heater -4-> heat -5-> cabin

Significant losses at steps 1,2,3, and enginge is still producing more heat than it needs.

My logic may be flawed, but I would like to see some data before being convinced.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    when its cold the engine keeps running a lot more then normal
    for heating the inside of the car

when you set it to max cold it wil not heat the inside of the car.
    It wil only run ocassionaly to recharge the HV battery

i think even the losses in converting wil be less then the extra running of the engine when you want it to heat the inside of the car.

when its recharing the HV battery it wil be running at optimum Rpm

I am talking about city drives not highway
    when on the highway just use the engine thats running anyway

add a picture of me firts run in my WHITE;) prius

turnt it to max cold to keep the engine from only running to recharge the battery and for some occasional assist the elec motor.

almost only elec drive!

Attached Files:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HEAT = ENERGY
    That energy is coming from gas one way or another. The 12v heaters are very inefficient. The heat from the ICE running is excess and will be wasted or used to heat the cabin.

While I agree that leaving the temp at the "Max Cold" setting DOES reduce heat loss to the engine and will let it run less frequently b/c it stays warmer longer I don't think there's any way using a 12v heater will net you any improvement in FE....indeed I'm quite confident the net will be worse.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi lIon and Doc,

lIon might be right. Doc you are right in your efficiency evaluation, but you did not do a comparitive analysis of what the efficiency is with the alternative. The alternative being sitting in traffic with the engine running and 60 to 70 percent of the heat going out of the tail pipe, and 20 percent into the engine bay, and 10 percent into the cabin. With an electric heater one gets a hybrid heating action. The engine runs less, but at a higher output to charge the traction battery. Even with a 20 percent electric heater system efficiency its a 100 percent improvement in heating system efficiency. One should set the Prius to climate control off, run the electric heater to get the cabin to 65 F, then set the Prius climate control to 65 F while thermostatically controlling the electric heater.

Evidence that an electric heater might be better is that there is not as big fuel economy reduction (like 58 to 53 mpg) with the Air Conditoning in traffic as we do with the heater (50 to 42 mpg). Although the amount of heat moved with the compressor is less than the electric energy it uses. And warm temperature results in less rolling resistance and air drag and less traffic jamns (at least around here).

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Evan,

Electric heaters themselves are very efficient. Electric energy in for heat energy out is nearly 1:1. The only inefficiency is in the interconects, which the worst of them are in the cabin. Where one wants the heat anyway.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Another way to help the situation is to insulate the engine like Evan has done, too. Now you get maybe 10 percent loss in the engine bay, and 20 percent into the cabin.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

A real slick solution would be Thermo-electric devices on the tail pipe run to heaters in the cabin. But the Thermo-electric devices need better effiiciencies than present commercial ones. There has been some lab work recently that has doubled the efficiencies over the commercial ones.

If your wondering why I am really interested in this, it might be the 2 1/2 hour drive home on Thursday night in 20 F degree weather. Not too bad, but I have had similar drives in 5 F degree weather too. Traffic on the main road, 1 mile from the office is stop and go, and the interstate is stop and go too. So, its 23 miles of stop and go for 2 1/2 hours. Needless to say, the engine has to run all the time to stay warm. With a tank average dropping from 47 to 42 mpg (finished the tank at 45 mpg a day later) during that trip. The 47 mpg included 3 sub zero morning starts over a week of driving. So its apparent that the non-hybrid nature of the heating is a more sever problem than even driving in -4 F. As to the mileage on the trip home was on the order of 19.3 mpg as I had 275 miles on the tank when it started. The only bright spot is that the mileage for the last 50 miles on the tank was in the 70's (due to the slow but steady driving at near 40 mph due to conditions, which about 30 F and included bare pavement where the wheels run, but not elsewhere. Which is why everybody elses was doing 40 mph too.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Only run the heater when the coolant temperature is above 145°F.

That is by far the most efficient choice, since the engine will remain off while above that threshold... even when set at MAX HOT with the fan blowing hard. It's heat that would otherwise be wasted.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you do use the grill blocking?

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi john... and lIon,

I left out that the 2 1/2 hour drive home was in the middle of a snow storm during rush hour(sss). So it was neccassary to bump up the climate control temp to 70 F and even so run the defrosters at time to be able to see, out of the car. The wipers were going in highest intermitant setting all the time. The rear wiper really needs an indepdant intermitancy setting. I was very important to be able to see out of the car considering all the other cars moving all the time in relation to my car. There was 3 inches of snow on the hood of the car when I got home, even though I cleared it all off before leaving work.

Yes, I have 100 % top grill blocking, and 75 % lower (all but the lower slit) blocked. With the snow, the grill was 100 % blocked by the time I got home.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi docwillie,,

To clarify,

Stock Prius - sitting in traffic with 65 F set on climate control - Engine runs to heat car, no motive or battery charging occurs most of this time. Engine runs to make heat. Efficiency about 10 % (best guestimate) fuel to heat.

Prius with auxiliary cabin electric heater - sitting in traffic with climate control off, and aux electric heater thermostat set to 65 F - engine off most of the time, but when its on for heating purpose, its running to charge the main traction battery. 12 V converter efficiency about 90 %, heater efficency problaby better than 95 %, efficiency around 25 % fuel to electric energy - total 23 %.

The best scenario would be an auxiliary furnace that burned gasoline and got 75 % cabin heating efficiency.

Another alternative is a exhaust heat recovery for cabin heat. Say we get a system that is just 30 % efficiency. Then the fuel to cabin heat efficiency is 10 % plus 70 % (gas to exhaust heat) times 30 %, or 31 % overall efficient.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice
    the snow provided a natual grill blocking

i also think that electric heating wil work.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (sorry can not seam to edit my post )

maybe you can buy one and try it out?