1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inside the Lives of 'Extreme Commuters'

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rancid13, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Long and Grinding Road

The rat race is turning into a marathon. Inside the lives of 'extreme commuters.'

By Keith Naughton
    Newsweek
    May 1, 2006 issue

At 5:40 a.m., the alarm blares news-talk radio and Bill Small rolls out of bed. With a two-hour commute ahead of him, the Chicago doctor wastes little time. He showers, dresses and is out the door by 6. At this hour, his car is the only one navigating the winding streets of his upscale neighborhood in St. Charles, Ill., a quaint community nearly 50 miles west of the Chicago hospital where he works. Small's routine is so finely tuned that he won't stop for coffee if there are more than three cars in the drive-thru. Today there are just two, and he picks up an extra-large. But there's no time for a bathroom break, so Small, 41, won't allow himself a single sip for nearly an hour. At the halfway mark, he takes his first swig as he hits gridlock on the Eisenhower Expressway. With the sun rising over the Chicago skyline, he crawls along, placidly listening to sports radio. Finally, he arrives at exactly 8 a.m. Though he won't return home for 12 and a half hours, Small still says the killer commute to and from exurbia is worth it. "It's a nice place to raise kids," he says. "And it does feel like you're away."

Full Article

Whew! After reading that, I'm exhausted! I want to go take a nap now. Thank goodness my commute is now 'only' 25-30 minutes (~14 miles city streets-lots of stoplights & stopsigns). Just doesn't sound worth it to me, to commute to and from work for hours upon hours each day, even if that makes it possible for one to afford a larger and/or nicer home than they could otherwise afford closer to the city & their job.

2. Hawk

Hawk New Member

I would never do that either. I would rather make less money and have time to enjoy the things I can afford. Oh wait that is exactly how I live, woo hoo.

3. JoePrius

JoePrius New Member

I can relate! I live in Los Angeles and drive 75 miles each way and love my Prius. I tell people it is like flying business class and have no complaints. I get up at 5:00AM and am on the road by 6:00AM and in the office by 7:00AM (yes, I average about 75-80 mph going to work). It takes me anywhere between 1.5-2.0 hours to get home and on those busy days I can average almost 50 mpg.

Thank goodness I have the Sat radio, 6 disk, bluetooth, etc., as it can make for a productive and gulp, enjoyable ride! - Joe

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting how a commute conforms to roughly a two hour limit, regardless of mode of transportation (walking, bicycling, driving, bus, train, boat or air). This follows the well established economic geography models of Von Thunen and Christallier. These models help explain how and why our communities are shaped both spatially and temporarily. A mode of transportation beyond two hours greatly limits economic and employment opportunities.

5. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I symphatize with those guys mentioned, but I do wonder about their professions. It would have been better for the article to feature extreme commuters that have "normal" jobs.

The photographer can have his own darkroom or edit his photos on a computer at home. I do web work (like that Jersey guy), and I estimate I can do most (probably 95%) of my job anywhere with a laptop and an internet connection.

That being said, I also rent at Los Angeles, the City, the 213 area code! Yikes! My wife and I have been on the market for a house for quite some time now, but I keep postponing because I just might turn into one of the extreme commuters mentioned.