1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

insight in "day after tomorrow"

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by starla30, May 31, 2004.

1. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The main character in "the day after tomorrow" drives an insight! When they first showed his car I was a little confused that they seemed to make a point of showing that it was a Honda. Usually, in movies they don't show the make. But you could see the big H and one of the tires covered by part of the body. It's a bright yellow Insight. Go them for putting it in the movie even though they don't really make much of a point of it or show that it's a hybrid. It's a great addition to the film that the crazy environmental guy who wants to save the world drives an Insight. ;) It was a really bad movie but I loved it and it was quite entertaining. ;) Great special effects and a fun movie all around, particularly if you live in LA.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

I saw that thing in the movie. I kept staring at the front of the car, the "H" in particular, so I wasn't paying much attention to the rear of the car nor the actual color.

Now, I have to wonder how much Honda paid to have that big "H" right in the middle of that shot; that "H" was really prominent. Also, I have to wonder whether the color was coincidental. I mean, Citrus Yellow? That color was discontinued after the first MY, wasn't it?

3. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wonder if Honda did pay for the product placement. It seemed pretty clear that the creator of the movie is extremely environmentally inclined so I'm sure he would've used a hybrid no matter what. It's a nice touch even if not many people would notice.

Though my friends who I went with picked up on it almost as fast as I did. Actually my co-worker snorted and almost started laughing at how obvious the "H" was.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, if they didn't, they certainly got a gift from the producers and I have some difficulty believing those folks would be that altruistic, whether it served their purposes or not.

My reaction was similar to that of your co-worker; the "H" was laughably enormous and placed in such a manner that it could not be missed by anyone with their eyes open. Further, the Insight was YELLOW and my understanding is that color was replaced in 2001 by BLUE.

So, if they weren't being paid, why go to the trouble of (a) making sure that huge "H" was in the middle of the shot and, (B) locating a 4 year old Citrus Yellow Insight?

Until I learn otherwise, I'm just going to assume Honda paid for the placement of their logo and that the powers-that-be at Honda decided Citrus Yellow would "read" better on the screen.

5. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was great that Jack drove an Insight. It made perfect sense given his character. He lived alone, worked all the time, so a two-seater makes sense for him. Also, given his work with global warming, he would also want to drive a vehicle that was low pollution. I would have rather seen Jack driving a Prius, but an Insight is the next best thing.

Jeff

6. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I heard that the original script called for a Prius, but the 12 month wait period would have delayed production. ;)

7. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This post made me laugh. Thanks. :D

Jeff

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    LOLOL
    you may be right there. actually, most cars in movies are donated by car
    companies and are done so simply for exposure. for the most part, the type
    of car driven doesnt play into the plot of the movie at all so the producers
    will take anything that is given to them. The James Bond flick with Halle Berry
    had some interesting comments on the extended DVD when Ferrari (i think)
    donated a $500,000 car to the movie only to have the movie cut the car in
    half. Ferrari was ah... disappointed.

I think the fact that it wasnt mentioned that Quaid wasnt driving a hybrid
    simply has to do with the car right?? after all, its easily understandable that a
    Prius owner would show off and brag about his car... I guess Honda's owners
    just dont have as much to say...

9. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The conflagration caused by the person waiting for that Pirus could have drarfed that of the movie.

Just ask our resident toenail puller.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    but then it would have been a slasher flick instead of a
    diaster movie.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw the film yesterday. IMO, it's quite obvious that Honda paid for the insight to be in that film. It's just too obvious. The colour was deliberately picked out as well, making for a standout in the flyover scene with Jack and son cruising to the airport.

As for the movie itself. It was a great way to waste a couple of hours. I wouldn't give it more credance than that.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    100% agree.

13. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just saw the movie tonight. I really loved it. It was one of the greatest movies I have seen all year. I have a question, Will it ever happen like that?

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who really knows. We have very little knowledge of how this planet actually works.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well yes and no.

the ending is pretty much for sure... but how it gets that way is greatly exgerrated. the film director had to compress 150 years of weather changes into a few days for continuity purposes.

you realize that we have positive proof of this event occurring several times in the past including a major ice age about 50,000 years ago. but we have had minor ones also which would change the weather to what was portrayed in the movie.

Another phenomena we have to look forward to is a polarity shift of the magnetic field of the Earth. This has happened about a dozen times that we know of. In this event the magnetic poles will slowly reverse themselves. some scientists have predicted very unpredictable weather during the shift. but i cant imagine what havoc it would play on radio and television. although we are rapidly moving towards a satellite based world with LCD televisions, neither of which are affected by the magnetic field of the Earth, there will still probably be several systems that will not cope well as the magnetic North Pole makes its way through places like Iowa and Mexico on its way to parts South of the Equator.

all in all, the movie has great special effects... but as Quaid mentioned, any climate shift would take 150 years minimum (it has been estimated that the last major ice age took about 900 years to get going.)