1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Install aftermarket in 2010 prius ii

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prius2010II, Aug 19, 2010.

1. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll be getting the car in the next week or so. Unless I'm missing something it makes sense to buy the II and install an after market GPS vs getting the III.

I read most of the threads and searched. Some questions for the experts.
    1) DASH KIT- I assume most of the people buying the Toyota kit from europe and modifying it for double DIN did so before the kits were available.
    Which unit has the better look/fit? Metra or Scosche? The few posters who expressed an opinion seemed to like Metra.
    2) STEERING WHEEL CONTROL UNIT.PAC or ASWC? Looks like ASWC is an easier install. Crutchfield doesn't even carry it. Obviously there are other vendors but they normally they stock the stuff that works well.
    3) Wiring harness--Does anyone have an "extended" harness that include things like steering control/data? I found someone who sells such a harness for the Sabaru but he doesn't know anyone who makes it for other cars.
    Is the reverse wire (for backup camera) part of the radio wiring or do I have to hunt?
    4) How to splice--Obvious soldering is the best. Are the plastic crimp caps OK or am I better off with the butt splice or "bullet" connectors?
    5) Nav antenna--Looks like under the dash is the best choice. Under tweeters is second best. How much harder is one vs the other? Looks like removing tweeters requires being careful not to damage air bags.
    6) Steering wheel controls. I assume bluetooth buttons won't be on a model II steering wheel. Do people try to assign audio buttons to bluetooth functions or forget about it?
    7) Bluetooth mic- Looks like on top of the steering column makes sense.
    8) Suggestions as to which aftermarket backup camera makes sense?

2. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And yes, it will be cheaper for you to buy your own GPS/Audio Upgrade than to spend the extra $900 on a prius III. (and another $1800 for nav)

1. Use the free one that comes with the HUs when you buy on crutchfield. Metras or Sosche and they are cheap on ebay. THey look almost as good.
    2. Steering wheel control is dependent on what brand HU you have, not what car you drive. Crutchfield will tell you which PAC adapter works with the HU u buy. I got a PAC-SWI on ebay ($45 vs $69 on crutchfield) which works for Pioneer and Sony.
    3. Wiring harness for steering controls? No, doesn't work like that. Need the PAC adapter sorry.
    4. Nothing wrong with crimping. Soldering is easy though. But i used this instead http://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP500/Posi-Products-Car-Stereo-Connector-Kit.html?tp=990. Easier than crimping and soldering. Just insert wires both end, and tighten.
    5. Nav antenna? Didn't get a Nav unit but most people prefer under the tweet/squaker grille. Easier to wire.
    6. No bluetooth buttons. You can program your PAC to control the bluetooth instead of the track/seek functions.
    7. Bluetooth mics, ive seen people put it on that small black square right under the power button.
    8. Get a license plate frame mount camera. Easiest to install, and you'll just have to run wires along the side trim, not so hard.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Colonel Ronson did a good job, I'll just answer the ones where I have more or different information.

No one does them pre-assembled so you should buy a metra kit and a pac then prewire. The reverse wire is under a panel under the steering wheel. There are pictures that made it easier for me in an old thread for pioneer z110 install.

I soldered and shrink wrapped but those from crutchfield looked good.

I did it under the dash and it worked fine. If it doesn't work by the tweeter is good. Disconnect the battery before you install and the air bag won't go off.

That's what I did.

I got a boyo that sat on the license plate. It works fine, but I wouldn't do it again. I have been pulled over once with covering up part of my license plate as part of the excuse (they were really looking for drunk drivers). I will probably replace it with a chinese unit for camry off ebay that matches the factory one. Rolf has a thread. Installing the camera was a PITA for me and would have had someone at best buy install it for $85 if I had to do it over again. Some people are more handy. The rest of the install was easy.

4. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed the HU with iGo GPS navigation in my car myself. I used the original Toyota dash kit with 200x100 opening. I purchased the chinese unit with the exact size of that. No PAC or other interface kit needed, the unit came with the wiring harness and it works well with external amplifier. The steering wheel control works fine, but no bluetooth buttons. The GPS antenna is under left tweeter. I placed the external MIC close to the original position - it is usable for the whole car occupancy. The backup camera I used is Camry09 from Qualir, but I had to cut the plastic adapter to the original opening, which is bigger then for Camry. Search for chinese HU in this forum, you wil find more info and pictures as well. They are also in my gallery.

5. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Colonel--I understand I need the steering wheel control adapter, except with the Chinese HU. I was looking for a harness so I'd be splicing into the the harness wires instead of the actual car wires. We don't splice into the actual car wires when we wire the HU. Someone has a harness for the Subaru that lets you connect the steering wheel adapter, the same way you connect the HU. I guess it doesn't exist for the Prius.

PaJa--I was considering a Chinese HU. I think I'd rather get the HU with the features I want. Kenwood has the optional traffic and Garmin maps. I'm probably going to go that route. Alternately I can get older models at deep discounts. Not sure I want the "experience" of Chinese support including warranty.

I did look at Qualir. They have 3 different models that seem to fit in the Prius.
    QL-PRS982 at 498
    QL-PRS782 at 458
    and a "universal toyota"
    QL-TYT965 at 395

I can't find any specs or real information regarding the differences between the 3 models. I tried to D/L the owners manual but my browser 'hung". Doesn't seem to be a company that provide much information. I'm tempted to pass. Not interested in doing the install twice.

6. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Prius III also comes standard with JBL sound system and BT. Navigation is optional. Not sure about III w/ NAVI, but i think that you also get USB connection when you get OEM NAVI.

The standard sound system is relatively difficult to improve (significant) upon without spending well over $1000. (And if you don't do it yourself, to get a good system aftermarket to match JBL is probably well over $1500.) The JBL system is pretty damn good. So, you may want to consider getting the III just for the sound system (+ integrated BT, which works very well). If cost is a a problem, then just get III and then buy an aftermarket Garmin/Magellan.

7. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't understand. The harness you get from crutchfield, you have to wire it to the head unit harness. Then you connect that whole contraption to the factory harness. When i spliced the PAC adapter, i just spliced into where the crutchfield and head unit harness connect.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The PAC wire into a different harness (20 pin) I believe. So a total of three harnesses (connectors) from on the car side.

9. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Spiderman,
    You are correct:
    1 HU harness
    2 PAC harness
    3 SWC harness
    4 XM radio harness (If required)
    Jim

10. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    QL-PRSs are new at Qualir, I can't tell you more, but they looks to be just a repacked older units together with dasboard frame. The resolution of the picture is too small to see if it is textured or if it is a something like Metra/Scoche ones.

11. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure PR means the unit has the dashboard frame and wiring for the Prius.

I can't find any way on the site to determine the differences between models 395,782 and 982. The more expensive units have a higher model number which suggests they might be newer models.

I think I'm going to want satellite and traffic integrated with the GPS. That suggests going with something like a Kenwood.

A google search suggests some of the Qualir models are the same as flyaudio. Not sure if that's good or bad.

12. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    anyone done the Pioneer 910 or 920? avic-X910BT has a knob, X920BT all touch areas like the stock dash..

Sam

13. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to buy from crutchfield PM me. i have a referral code that will get you $20 off.