1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installation guide with pictures for AUX input devices?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by unavaca, Nov 6, 2006.

1. unavaca

unavaca New Member

Is there an install guide for AUX input devices with pictures? I'm having trouble finding a step-by-step guide on the forums that details how to remove the vent and glove comparement, as well as where to look for wires and such. Thanks.

2. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. unavaca

unavaca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stomsf @ Nov 6 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]344763[/snapback]</div>
    This doesn't have pictures of where to grip to remove the glove comparement, or what this "shock" thing he's talking about is.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unavaca @ Nov 6 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]344764[/snapback]</div>
    Another good guide with pictures is Chris Dragon's "Stereo Accessory Install Guide, 04 Prius, v1.03.pdf"
    which can be found here on PriusChat in other threads.
    I think in that one he's actually installing a Vais unit....but it's got good info for taking apart the dash &
    getting to the wiring harness on the back of the radio; however, it does not present the "through the glove box" approach.
    Good Luck

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Nov 7 2006, 08:09 AM) [snapback]344903[/snapback]</div>
    I used the Chris Dragon one, and was able to install an aux box on my car without too much diffiiculty. The hard part was the reacharound on the radio. I could feel the socket ok, but had a little trouble getting enough leverage to get the new cable connector to lock in. The install was accomplished with removing the lower glove compartment, and unsnapping the passenger side vent only, with snap on parts I try to avoid removing them any more than I have too. I also like to do this kind of stuff on a hot day as I think the plastic gets more forgiving and less brittle, less likely to snap, perhaps. Removing the glove box is pretty simple, squeeze it to release the pins that keep it from flopping on open, then unhook the little shock damper arm, and pull out. Probably a good time to clean the cabin filter while you have it out.

7. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so wait if i'm reading correctly, one can just do some mods to enable their CD stereo to support AUX inputs for mp3 players? or do I have to buy a seperate deck for the prius if i'm going to get some upgraded features for audio? (not sound wise anyways). I thought the cd player was hard coded into the MFD and that putting another one in was near impossible?

PS: I hate ipods, overpriced pieces of $, can't even change the battery since apple expects you to buy an ipod every year or so! And now they've gotten worse in terms of features (you know you can't have tv out anymore like the old ipod videos because apple requires a "apple approved" cable for tv out, RUBBISH!

8. Pegasus_

Pegasus_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Apparently that's the case. The boxes plug into the CD changer port that is present on all factory stereos, and then you press DISC twice to switch to the "changer." Then you operate your connected device as usual. I will go this route.

9. whoda_thunk_it

whoda_thunk_it New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought the IN DASH Car2AUX-TOY but have not installed it yet. I am on this thread searching to see if I really need to take out the entire dash or if installation can be done by just taking out the glove boxes. Based on the video I found on installing the EV mod, taking out the glove boxes doesn't scare me much. Taking out the entire dash and display to get at the stereo is something I don't think I want to do to my 6-day old car. Has anyone installed this or similar unit?
    thanks
    Jeff

10. zelium

zelium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jeff,

I was wondering if you installed Car2AUX-TOY successfully. Please share experience with us.
    Thanks.