1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installation Instructions For An Ammeter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jbumps wvu mntrs, Nov 7, 2008.

1. jbumps wvu mntrs

jbumps wvu mntrs PC Superfan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone have any instructions for installing an ammeter? I would like to put one in to monitor the flow in and out of the HV batter, if it's possible with intermediate mechanical skills and an electrician as a helper. I'd also like to know if the scan guage is capable of monitoring this information? I expect I'll be getting one as a Christmas present this year and, if so, I may not want to spend the time and money to put in the ammeter. Thanks to anyone who can offer some input.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. jbumps wvu mntrs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the help. I'd seen the page that has all of his pages but hadn't seen that one in particular. It looks fairly involved to install a dedicated ammeter, rather than relying on the scanguage for the information. For anyone who has installed an ammeter or uses the scanguage to monitor this info: Is the feedback worth the effort of the install and the attention required to make use of the info?

4. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The ScanGauge is definitely worth it for the minimal install effort, especially since there are several dozen gauges you can use, as well as lots of trip/mpg/fuel cost info. I think for the ammeter, the ScanGauge would be more accurate since the current varies from about -100 to 100 Amps. With the SG you can see how small things like the headlights or defroster can affect current draw from the battery. The resolution is 0.1 Amps.

5. jbumps wvu mntrs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the input from the Scanguage side. I was under the impression that the draw was in teh -50 50 range. With that wide of a swing the mechanical ammeter I was considering would likely make observations like the headlights etc... impossible to notice. Thanks again for the help and I guess all I can do now is to wait for the holidays to get the scanguage in! As always everyone on here has enough tech info that would make the Mopar guys drool with envy