1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installation of VHF & CB radios

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by LaniLobes, May 1, 2006.

1. LaniLobes

LaniLobes New Member

Hi All

I am wondering if anyone has any experience installing CB & VHF radios into priuses - some quick questions:

- where to put the arial? I assume it will stuff the "aerodynamics of the car" up anywhere but open to suggestions
    - Do the electronics interfere with the radio?
    - Can the radio be integrated into the cars computer and controlled through the MFD
    - Is there any AUX inlets to the stereo system
    - What fuse is on the cigarette lighter / can it run a radio off it?

Thanks for your help

Lani

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaniLobes @ May 1 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]248269[/snapback]</div>
    I can help a little,

The antenna they make glass mounts for most bands, or you could install a NMO mount ou the roof.
    also the trunk lip mount can be installed in the hood lip.
    Not to many locations to mount a radio, if its a small unit it could be mounted under the glove box or on the center kick panel.

do not know of any HF radios hooking into the MFD though..

3. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    vhf radios up to about 50watts rf out doesnt seem to bother it...a glass mount on the hatch is an option...
    as far as hf goes...most hf rigs usually run 100watts or better...too much rf fields to envelope the prius, especially on rf feedback with ground hard to come by...really no good place on car for hf antenna...given a cb antenna(11m) with a legal power of 4watts AM would tend to cause rf problems with cruise control...just my 30 years 2 cents worth on rf and ant design...

4. LaniLobes

LaniLobes New Member

This isn't sounding too promising.....

5. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there any obstructions near the center of the roof that would complicate an NMO mount? I'm looking to remote-mount an Icom 2720 under one of the seats and put an NMO mount square in the center of the roof.

Also, any RFI from the car to be worried about on 2M or 70CM? Any worries of RFI to the car at 60W on 2M?