1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed BT Tech Brace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prev93, Jun 21, 2006.

1. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After driving 20k on my 2004, I decided to install the BT Brace. I have never really been happy about the cornering ability of my Prius, so I was willling to spend the money to see if the brace would help. So far I have driven 1,000 miles with the brace installed(which, by the way, was as easy as laying on the ground with a socket wrench). My impression so far: really not much to say one way or another. I expected some improvement in the handling, but am hard pressed to state that the brace helped in any significant way. Actually, I was unable to detect any noticeable difference in handling after installing the brace. The brace, aesthetically, is really quite a nicely machined piece of metal. It fits nicely and is high quality. It should be noted that the factory brace has enlarged bolt holes on one end, presumably to allow installation with slightly different distances between the mounting holes. The new brace does not allow for that adjustment, so it forces the body to conform to the distance set by the brace. This may be a minor issue, but there is a reason why Toyota made their brace with a small adjustability factor built in.

I will continue to montor my impression of the brace, especially during the windier winter months, to see if there is any improvement in crosswind handling compared to the factory brace.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have found that normal straight driving, soft curvves producese a subtle difference with the BT Brace. Have you tried any hard cornering? That should be where the difference will be significcant.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with prev93, the only thing I can say is that it is easy to install, it's a very nice piece of work, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. The only really hard cornering I have done was when I tested my VSC and that wasn't enough to really tell much about the brace. I wish someone would do a skid pad test without and with the brace.

Brian from BT Tech did offer another product last year, a small spoiler. It went across the base of the rear window and was designed to decrease the lift in the back. This would help hold the car on the road better at highway speeds. I thought it actually worked, especially in the wind. I did some tests that indicated it had no adverse effect on mileage. Unfortunately it wouldn't stay on the car. Mine came off after about 2 weeks. Brian said he was trying to find a better adhesive for it but I haven't heard from him in a while and he hasn't answered my last two emails.

Brian, you still out there?

EDIT: 6/30/06 Brian of BT Tech just got back to me and he is working on a fix for the spoiler. I volunteered to try it out. Thanks Brian.

4. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We just got in another batch of BT Tech stiffening plates and have them IN STOCK NOW!! I know it is a little late for those that wanted to receive one before the 4th of July but we will be shipping all pending orders within the next several days.

Tom, I replied to your PM that you sent me. Sorry for the delay as I have been away on vacation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jun 21 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]274799[/snapback]</div>

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prev93 @ Jun 21 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]274658[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed! You aren't alone. I like nicely-machined parts, and the brace sure looks good! And I experienced the same "handling improvement" result as you after 2k miles. If you know anybody good with a wrench, tell them to secretly take it off your car one day without telling you. See if you ever notice the difference. I did this to my wife... but I wish I had somebody who could do it for me!