1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed CarPlay head unit except...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DenisonPrius, Jul 30, 2018.

1. DenisonPrius

DenisonPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just installed a Sony XAV-AX100 head unit yesterday with a kit I purchased through Crutchfield.

Everything on the stereo works perfectly and it is an awesome change.

The MFD is another story.

I wired the resistor to the appropriate terminals in the wiring harness, to ensure that I still would have my AC controls. When I went to restart the car the MFD turned on and seemed to be functioning normally. As soon as I engaged my climate controls it became sluggish. I went to reset everything by unhooking the auxiliary battery for ten minutes and plugged it back in, just to see if that would fix the problem. Now the MFD screen freezes on the Toyota Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive boot screen until I press one of the buttons on the MFD, such as "Info". There is a few seconds delay (very noticeable) until the temperature adjusts to the desired setting. It also just seems to act funky in general. The MFD worked flawlessly before the install.

My 2005 Toyota Prius Package Nr. 6 has the JBL audio and factory navigation and only 118,000 miles. The car has been serviced regularly at a Toyota dealership all of its life.

Would this be caused by the resistor, something else? I have installed literally hundreds of car stereos in my life and I know that everything was wired properly.

Attached is a photo of all the materials that came in my kit for reference.

Attached Files:

2. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Usually that problem is due to the lack of the resistor--what pins/wires did you attach to, is it a good connection, and what is the value of the resistor?

3. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a discussion on possible problems with the resistor: 68ohm resistor and the 2004 wiring diagram (2005 should be the same) for the correct pins/wires on the R5 connector: 2004_JBL_TX.png

4. wanderso

wanderso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did you get this worked out? I wired a Pioneer AVH-1440NEX in my 2006 Prius this last weekend (8/4/18). I also kept the steering wheel controls fully operational. Note - I have the non-navigation, low res MFD, non JBL amp Prius (base) version.

Parts list:

Pioneer AVH-1440NEX (Apple CarPlay, HD radio, DVD). $260 from Fry's Electronics

Amazon
    Metra 95-8240B stereo dash kit $21
    Metra 79-1761 wiring harness $2.88
    Metra Axxess ASWC-1 universal steering wheel interface $44.99

$308 total

Car Toys (retail chain) wanted over $600 to do this same setup, including installation. I've installed a lot of aftermarket systems over the years but found that this is not for the faint at heart on the Prius. The dash vents are brittle. I babied them and removed in the correct manner and still ended up cracking the one that has the parking brake switch when reinstalling it.

The stereo dash kit above included the resistor that I wired between pin 10 (white) and pin 9 (pink) to allow the climate controls to work.

The steering wheel controls connects to pin 8 (white) and pin 7 (black). Pin 6 (red) connects to a chassis ground. Yep, it freaked me out to connect a red wire to a chassis ground, but it is correct for my setup. Powered up the Axxess device, connected to my Pioneer deck cycled it through an auto-detect mode.

I installed the hands free microphone just to the left of the windshield's rear view mirror, routing the wire inside the A pillar cover and behind the dash panel. USB and an AV cable I routed to the glove box.

The setup works very well.

iPhone ?

ITBland likes this.