1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Coastal EV ---- HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by auart, Sep 4, 2006.

1. auart

auart Junior Member

I installed the Coastal EV today, and it seems to work I guess, I don't get any indicator light on the dash and I know I saw a picture posted on PC that showed a EV mode indicator was already built into the panel and would come on when activated???
    Was this only on Japan models with factory EV? Or could I have messsed up?
    The only indication I get when I do get it to work is that when the battery falls down low, it will do the 3 beep thing and the ICE kicks on. This makes me think it is working but with the coastal EV we won't get a little light indicating it is on like the READY light or something?

I will say that the instructions from Caostal are terrific, and the best I have ever used to do anything.... Everything was exactly as described and pictured in the instructions.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. kDB

kDB New Member

nevermind... could have sworn it was a different dash...

to see if EV works, switch the MFD to the consumption screen (or anything but the energy screen), then try to activate it. if it does not activate you'll hear a series of three beeps, if it does activte you'll hear one beep and the MFD will switch to the energy screen. if you are already on the energy screen you'll hear nothing and the screen will stay.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV indicator on the dash is only on those cars that come with an EV switch installed at the factory (ie EU and Japan).

Also, the EV function was not available at all on the classic

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can show you a picture of the indicator (far right) but you only get it if your car wasn't for the NA market.
    [​IMG]

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Sep 4 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]314184[/snapback]</div>
    In a 2006, you'll get the message on the MFD if you can't go into EV mode (maybe a triple beep too).

6. auart

auart Junior Member

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate all the response on PC since I bought my Black Prius last month....
    So far I have put the mudguards, the Coastal EV, and the Armrest cover from the lady on Ebay (Leather and fits like it is from the factory!).
    Who knows whats next!
    I am going to hit 60MPG just yet!

7. auart

auart Junior Member

OK.... I just went out and tried it out again.
    I put it on the Consumption screen and then powered off... Then back on and pulled the Cruise stalk to activate the EV mode. I hear some beeps but thats it... I put it in reverse and go and it drains the battery down half way down the street (300 yards) so then the beeps again and the ICE kicks in which I assume takes it out of EV mode for the rest of the trip.

Let the car sit for a couple hours and then I go back and try to get the message on the screen about not being able to go to EV mode.... I do not ever get the message at all.... Even if I power up and wait till the ICE kicks on to warm up, then pull the stalk, I get some beeps but no message on the screen.
    Any need to worry?
    I would like to actually see it on the MFD to give me confidence that I installed the Mod correctly.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 4 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]314349[/snapback]</div>
    How quickly did you pull the stalk? I mean, before the ICE kicks in (at about 7 seconds)? The fact that you're getting a beep is a good indication that it's working.

9. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 5 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]314503[/snapback]</div>
    I guess its working, but I pull it immediately, but I have tried it when I know it won't work and I get nothing, and others have mentioned the "Cannot go to EV mode" message, and I never do.