1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed EV mode button - one question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by FirstFlight, Mar 21, 2011.

1. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed the EV mode button this weekend, not the coastal one. It was a pretty easy installation and I like it but some things are confusing me.

When I enter EV mode, I don't get any notifications. There are no beeps at all. I know I'm not going to get an LED on the dash but I expected to hear something.

Is there any way to get a signal in the car to know when you are in EV mode? I was driving along and at one point I couldn't remember if I was in EV mode or not.

2. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Same problem I had. The way I fixed it was use the scangauge Xgauge EV mode.

It shows EV ON/OFF.

*EDIT*

Here is the code taken from The SGII Xgauge Database - CleanMPG Forums

GAUGE: EV BUTTON STATUS
    CONF?: YES, BUT FAILS OF "UPGRADED" SCANGAUGES (3.15*)
    UNITS: BOOLEAN
    ->TXD: 05 21
    ->RXF: 01 05 22 29 00 00
    ->RXD: 31 01
    ->MTH: 00 01 00 01 00 00
    ->NAM: evb
    NOTES: (PRIUS) EV BUTTON ON OR OFF

3. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have scan gauge so I need to move to plan B.

I know some people have the factory EV mode button and that gives me hope. I'm wondering if pin 27 is a dual purpose pin. In other words, if EV mode is activated, will it then be a negative pin or something like that?

There is a way to do it. I just haven't found the right information yet.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are looking at the Consumption page on the MFD, it will switch to the Energy page and give you the MFD keystroke beep when you engage EV mode.

Note, practical use of EV mode is very limited unless you have a plug-in conversion. Running the car down to 2 bars SoC in EV mode triggers a wasteful recharging process. This is best left to forcing engine shutoff when stopped or avoiding the startup/warmup cycle for a very, very short trip of a few blocks.

5. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get that. I don't need to know how it works, I just want notification when it's in EV mode and when it's not without having to switch pages on the MFD.