1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Gentek Mirror with Homelink and Compass

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by usnavystgc, Sep 27, 2013.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was able to successfully install a Gentek mirror on my 2013 TCH last night. The whole process took me about 2 hours from start to finish. This is the third car I've installed it on and I have learned some things that I thought I'd share here.

1) Pretty much any homelink mirror will work. The mirror I ordered was taken off a 2006 Nissan Maxima
    2) Only 3 wires need to be connected (one (1) always hot, one (1) switched hot and a ground wire)
    3) most Homelink mirrors mount to the standard bracket that's glued on by the factory.

Here's a quick overview of the process
    1. Order a mirror and wiring kit on ebay (the total for mine was about $80). The wiring kit is not absolutely necessary but makes the job easier.
    2. Remove the old mirror from the mount by unscrewing the torx screw in the mirror mount
    3. Install the homelink mirror
    4. Plug in the wiring harness purchased in step 1.
    5. Route the wiring harness up thru the headliner over to the driver's side front pillar
    6. Remove plastic pillar cover and route wires in with stock wiring system
    7. Route wires behind the dash all the way down to the left kickplate
    8. Remove the left kickplate and locate a red wire that is "always hot", a pink wire that is switched hot by the ignition on.
    9. Remove any tape necessary to gain access to the wires and tap into the wires with the taps provided (wiring according to the schematic provided)
    10. Locate a screw or bolt that bolts into the metal of the car and attach the ground wire
    11. Zip tie loose wiring, replace tape, reassemble the kick plate and pillar cover
    12. Program the homelink

Hope this helps someone. Any questions, just ask.

2. Thummarwitsh

Thummarwitsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    which wiring kit you use? Can you give me a link? Thank you

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the one I used.