1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Modellista kit from Japan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by slortz, Jun 22, 2005.

1. slortz

slortz New Member

Yesterday, I received and installed my 2-piece Modellista body kit that I ordered from japanparts.com. Total damage: 138,610JPY, (93,300 for the kit, 39,900 for shipping, and 5,410 for the 3.9% Paypal surcharge) which came out to about $1248USD--ouch! :crazyeyes: That shipping and surcharge really jacks the cost up since about $400 of it is that. Oh well, birthday and Father's day presents rolled into one :birthday2:
    I finally decided on the Modellista kit over the Toyota 3-piece Aero Kit. I liked the look of the Modellista front spoiler most over all. Also, the rear spoiler on the 3-piece Aero kit is really no different than what is already on the car--all that is done is that it is color matched to the paint. I did like the idea of side skirts for the Aero kit but that wasn't enough to sway me. Plus, the 3-piece kit cost about $200 more.
    Ordering from japanparts worked out great since I like paying with Paypal. Although at first I was confused about how their (japanparts)ordering system worked, this guy Koji helped me out. Now that I know that it is easy to get these parts from Japan I won't bother with the Carson Toyota site which seems to be the only place in the US that I can find that has these parts.
    Expect to pay another 10-15% more from Carson Toyota--although ordering from somewhere in the US has its advantages if you encounter a problem with the product. Right now I'm going to continue crossing my fingers and keep the $200+ in my pocket.
    Anyway here are the pics:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks odd without a side skirt but damn! that looks hot!

3. SYN

SYN New Member

Looks sweet. :thumbup:

Would be complete with a nice set of aftermarket wheels. :D

Slortz, are there pictures on the net of the Toyota 3-piece?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean this? (it's from a PriusChatter's album)

5. SYN

SYN New Member

Thanks TP.
    But I'm not sure if it is. I have never seen the Toyota aerokit before

6. slortz

slortz New Member

That blue prius has on the same one as mine.
    Here is a link to see the Toyota 3-piece Aero kit:
    http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/pic159/002-001.htm

The front spoiler is a bit more subdued on that kit, plus like I said earlier the rear spoiler is no different than what you already have except they paint it. So really it comes down to the side skirts. I thought about maybe combining the side skirts from that kit with the Modellista but I'm not sure if the styles will clash.

Check out all of the other stuff they have at japanparts.com too.
    I have my eye on the mirror turn signals, but they are really expensive. Looks like the blue prius owner sprang for 'em plus a couple of other things.

And yes, I'm am definitely looking into aftermarket wheels. Just haven't made up my mind yet because there are a million things to consider other than just the look. I'll probably go with some 16" wheels instead of the 17"s to spare some ride quality.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Err, slortz? the pic in the link has exactly the same front lip spoiler as the blue one. The blue one has a different front lip as yours. It's not the modellista bodykit. It also has side skirts.

Oh, and those side skirts should match with yours. They're not that flashy and would be a good addition =)

8. slortz

slortz New Member

You are totally right, Tide! Sorry my mistake I just took another look at the picture and it is different from mine. I guess that blue prius does have the 3-piece Aero kit. I doesn't look like the front sticks out that far when looking at the Japanparts.com pics of the silver Prius with it.
    Thanks for correcting me!

9. slortz

slortz New Member

...and I sounded so sure of myself too! Embarassing!

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. It's all good.

But that Prius has some expensive options. Aside from the mirrors, it also has the automatic extending/retracting bumper locator and an Extended "B" rear spoiler

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks hideous?

Nate

12. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, but I don't get the point of this mod without splash guards? At least they do something.

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So does this kit (esp the front spoiler) improve performance/handling, or it's just for the smashing cool looks?

14. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry for the "stoooopid" question but do this kit require professional installation?

15. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

Looks like the ground effects kit for the Corola.

Not saying that it looks bad but it makes me wonder if it affects the drag coefficient of the car. :?:

I didnt buy my Prius to pimp it out so mines staying stock. Okay well maybe I'll get the VIEWTECH AUDIO/VIDEO INTERFACE later down the line. Thats different though since its functional and I'll put it to good use. :D

16. slortz

slortz New Member

Looks only. As far as I know the manufacturer doesn't make any claims to added performance. That's why I put this post under "Appearance Modifications" rather than performance.

17. slortz

slortz New Member

I installed this by myself in a couple of hours. Probably could have done it faster if the instructions weren't all in Japanese. I was a little unsure of how to use this adhesive primer surface wipe. Didn't know if I was supposed to apply it to the car or the adhesive strips on the body kit parts. Turns out you apply it to the car surface where the strips from the body kit will contact.

Another note about the installation is the front was much easier to do than the back. You pretty much can't miss in terms of locating it in position on the car. There is more room for error in doing the back and I had to pull it off and realign it a couple of times. Luckily, the adhesive bond isn't instant so you have some time to make adjustments.

18. slortz

slortz New Member

Wow. Hideous? That's a pretty strong word. I didn't think the change was anything so radical. From the side, it doesn't seem like much difference at all. Oh well, guess that's what this forum is all about, for people to express their opinions. I just better not drive my car in your neighborhood to keep you from throwing up all over yourself. Heh, heh.

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know, Nate, I think it looks awesome! I was hoping that I'd be the first one in the US with the kit, but it sure is nice to see it.

20. slortz

slortz New Member

Geez. Seems like a few people can't understand why anyone would want to make their car look different for the sake of making it just look different--there has to be some greater purpose/function?
    It's just a different look, guys. A little expression of individuality.
    In fact, I would argue that although mudflaps do have a function, the goal of that function is soley to maintain the car's appearance. Same arguement with bumper protectors and body side mouldings. Yes, the evil things vanity makes one do.